anyone have any experiances on Avantone mics???

thajeremy

registered abuser
a local music store has some of these in stock and I looked at some today....they look really nice and are reasonably priced.... I did a search hear and only found 2 threads which mentioned the mic....neither really said anything about the mic....just made mention of it....

Im interrested in the CV-12 which is a tube mic. They told me that they rent and loan mics so I may see what I can do about getting a loaner and see how I like it, but Id like to see what others have to say about them..

thanks

i've checked out the avant site in the past and their double ribbon mic appears to be exactly the same as the stellar double ribbon mic (an alcatron ningbo mic), so i'm going to guess that their tube is going to be similar to the nady 1050/apex 460's of the world. still prolly a real decent mic for the money, depending what the money is. good for modding as well if you're good with that stuff (i haven't a clue).
incidentally ken avant is a good dude to buy stuff from-- i got my first decent mic (rode nt1000 that now lives at true's :) ) from him a while back off of the bay.

this mic (Avantone CV-12) was in the store for $399...I have also seen it online for the same price....Im kinda scared to throw that kind of money at it rather than just saving a little more and getting an AT 4060 or something....

I have the CR14

ribbon mic by Avantone. It has a dark and brooding sound to it that I like a lot for some things. It isn't a great all around mic but it is one that I will keep for vox on some songs and for some fiddle tunes.

so nobody has used the cv-12?

I'm going to have to agree with the earlier post suggesting similarity to the Apex 460.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/index.php?tmp=4&id=74

avant cv-12

http://www.avantelectronics.com/CV-12.htm

They both have 9 polar patterns selectable on the power supply. The avant mic also has an 80hz rolloff and a -10db pad.

Avant claims 17db "equivalent noise level"
while the Apex's specs say 20db (A weighted).

They look pretty similar, except for the Avantone's shiny red finish.

The CK-1's are getting a lot of respect over at taperssection.com as stereo live recording mics. It sounds like they should be challengers to the Studio Projects C4's, Oktava mc 012's and the rode nt5's. I could see myself picking up some of their mics for drums or maybe their stereo mic that is coming out.

Well, they all similiar are from about the same Chinese factory
with customer requested modifications and controll levell
for a price.
There´s nothing bad in that with these prices -although
I modifyed mine ( not Avant ) by my self, maybe
they are doing just that. Could be a good deal?
Matti

I am considering purchasing a pair of the CK-1 small diaphram microphones. I have heard some samples, but I don't have an Avantone dealer close enough that I can go to audition them. They are inexpensive enough that it may be worth it to just buy them without actually hearing or using them first. If anyone has any experience with these microphones, I'd appreciate your insight.

Hows the rent fee? may be an option vs dumping mula without listening to it.
If your interested ;)
T

thajeremy said:
this mic (Avantone CV-12) was in the store for $399...I have also seen it online for the same price....Im kinda scared to throw that kind of money at it rather than just saving a little more and getting an AT 4060 or something....

Where can you get it for $399?

Thanks!

Back