any thoughts?

gamba

hi i am looking for a large diaphram condenser for recording vocals. this would be the first mic iv'e ever purchased. i'm trying to stay in the 3-5 hundred range. i was looking at the sennheiser mk4 but have only read one review on it . can any one give me some more suggestions. thanks guys.

budget wise this is what i'm trying hard to stay in GuitarCenter guitar center does not sell Michael Joly Oktava 319 they do have a used Oktava 319 for $99.00.

I have a Sennheiser MK4, use it for voice over and guitar. It's well made and I find it extremely accurate. Note that 'extremely accurate' may or may not be what you're really looking for. Certainly you better have a well treated recording space to use it in. I also use and enjoy the Shure SM7B though that mic tends to be more demanding of preamps.

My pre/ADA is a Sound Devices USBPre 2.

Michael Joly will overhaul that MK319 for $280.

hi i am looking for a large diaphram condenser for recording vocals. this would be the first mic iv'e ever purchased. i'm trying to stay in the 3-5 hundred range. i was looking at the sennheiser mk4 but have only read one review on it . can any one give me some more suggestions. thanks guys.

The MK4 is a superb mic. for the price and has been well reviewed and praised by everyone who uses it.

Remember that Sennheiser now own Neumann Berlin and never bought out any LDC until after they acquired Neumann (draw your own conclusions).

For $500, (the upper end of your budget) I bet you could find a used Neumann. I'm going to do some searching and get back on this.

A check of GC and MGR "used gear" finds a number of Neumann TML 102's and BCM 705's within your budget. Think I'd still get a Joly 319 but I'm kind of a "Joly Whore" Got a pair of his MXL 603's.......holy shit.

Back