any info on Studio Projects C4?

Nightbanana

Has anyone had a chance to check out SP C4 mics? I've heard some good things about them from some people who work in the recording studio where I attend school. I'm thinking about getting a pair to record piano, drum overheads, and acoustic guitars. If you have used them, I would appreciate your input.

I have used them on overheads a bunch, extremely useful mics and the extra capsules are nice to have.

War

My disclaimer--I'm pretty new to the recording game.

Anyway, I've just got a pair and I like them a lot. Previously I've been using a pair of Oktava 012s to mic my D18. The C4's are a bit crisper and clearer--a bit brighter. Very nice sounding on mandolin too.

One thing though--the Oktava's sounded fine using the preamps in my Alesis mixer and right from there into a DAW. Not so for the C4s. An external preamp is a must.
Doug

I've been using the C-4's for about 2 years and they are, to my ears, the best all purpose cheap small diaphragm mics I've used. Studio Projects customer service is second to none. Yeah, you can get better mics by spending more money, i.e. AKG C451, Shure SM81. I prefer the C-4's on most applications to Oktava MC012, Marshall MXL 603, and Rode NT5.-Richie

In Tune Audio said:
They work well. But I hate the mic holders. You'll want to upgrade those

Sounds like you got the old original ones, there are replacements available at no charge if this is the case.

War

Warhead said:
Sounds like you got the old original ones, there are replacements available at no charge if this is the case.

War

Actually I don't own a pair. My sort of sister studio has a pair, and I have borrowed them, many times. But if they replaced the mounts, I would recommend the C4's. Very good bang for the buck pencil condensor

Yeah, I had the original shock mounts, which sucked big time. Justin Hyatt went out of his way to track me down and ship me a new pair without being asked, and they are secure enough to stick my KM184's in with confidence. That would be the service "second to none" I referred to above. There's a lesson there too- The C-4's aren't so good that I didn't buy a pair of Neumanns, but they are good enough that even with a pair of Neumanns in house, the C-4's aren't going anywhere.-Richie

Warhead said:
War

I've PM'ed and emailed Alan Hyatt about replacements for my pair of C4, but I've not heard anything back. My old style are pretty cheesy, where the thread meets the stand.

Well, the design remains the same, but a better grade of plastic has been used. The threads are still plastic, but I've had no trouble with them.-Richie

Back