Another 57 VS 58 question...

Dogbreath

Im an ex-spurt
Salutations my fine non-feathered friends. :drunk:

Our band uses a couple of 57's, a 58 and a Beta 58 for vocals.

I'm finding that the 2 57's are always lower in volume than the regular 58. I can see the Beta being louder but the regular 58 is set to the same trim and fader positions, same EQ and is consistently louder than the 57's.

:confused:

I've always figgered that the 57 and 58 are pretty much the same but I'm not seeing that as the case here.

Anyone else notice this?

Now I'm lookin at getting either a 58 or the Beta.
Is the Beta worth the extra $60?

btw...this is for live pretty much exclusively.

Many thanks, O' Guru's of All Things Audio.
:drunk:

:D

Now I'm lookin at getting either a 58 or the Beta.
Is the Beta worth the extra $60?

There is not an objectively "better" one. Get whatever sounds best on the given source and has a pattern that is most advantageous. I find Beta58s harsh sounding on many voices but some live sound guys swear by them. Some people can take advantage of the narrow pattern and others can't stay in it to save their lives.

ahh....thank you sir.
I'm more than likely the latter of the two so maybe I'll stay with the 58. :o
I'm pretty much all over the place.
:p

whudda ya think about the volume diffs betwixt the two?
That puzzles me. Maybe they're not as close to being the same mike as I'd thought.
?

Anyway, thanks man.

Pretty much what BSG said! The Beta 58 (and 57 too) is a strange mic...some love it, some hate it. I personally wasn't too fond of it (my old lead singer used to use one and a Beta 57 but I didn't like that much either) but it wasn't terrible. Definitely don't see how it was worth the extra $$$ though. It's hard to tell until you actually hear 'em for yourself, unfortunately.

Sincerely,

Guru of All Things Audio

Just kidding :D

Pretty much what BSG said! The Beta 58 (and 57 too) is a strange mic...some love it, some hate it. I personally wasn't too fond of it (my old lead singer used to use one and a Beta 57 but I didn't like that much either) but it wasn't terrible. Definitely don't see how it was worth the extra $$$ though. It's hard to tell until you actually hear 'em for yourself, unfortunately.

Sincerely,

Guru of All Things Audio

Just kidding :D

I guess that's what I noticed when I tried the Beta 58. I didn't do any reading on it til now so it was that "hyper" part of the Beta that threw me. It was louder, yeah but it seemed like if I got out of that "sweet spot", it was all over.
I didn't notice any real "sound " issues but I wasn't listening critically-n-shit.

Thank you "O Guru to the Masses.

Well I have this one 58 that I made a XLR to 110 cord ☼:eek:☼. :rolleyes: :D

hmmm...
I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm here. :cool:

can I try it anyway?

I have used both Sm58 and Beta58 for my live vocals and I don't mind which I use. The beta seems to have a bit more top end but to me thats not good or bad just different. My wife uses a beta58 live and on her voice it's great. The other singer in my band likes sm57's and this sounds good too, the only reason I have never liked sm57's for my vocals is I don't like singing into the grill on a 57, this could answer the lower volume as people tend to sing a bit further away from them. Beta57's would be OK to sing into and I notice that they work well for drummers vocals.

If you are not worried about all of this just use a good ole SM58, if your voice would be helped by a little top end boost get a beta58.

Cheers

Alan.

Beta57's would be OK to sing into and I notice that they work well for drummers vocals.

Cheers

Alan.

True that for me! Going live ... if there are any bands that have a singing drummer they always get a beta 57 - it's the best microphone I've found so far to help eliminate bleed from the drums.

You know Duke of howling winds you should try out a EV ND 767a. Lt. swears by them as well. GC had them going out the door for under $90.

Back