amp mic'ing and pre amps!?!

dabluesman

Recording direct just isn't cutting it. I guess its time for me to break down and just get a mic and preamp so I can mic my guitar and bass amps (my acoustic guitar too and my vocals, if I ever decide to try singing.) What is best recommended for micing amps? I want something that can handle bass amp frequencies and tones as well as regular guitar amp's. Can the Sure SM 57 or 58 do this or should I go for something better? I'm looking to spend under $150 or maybe $200. Now about pre amps, the ART Tube pre amp looks nice but does is have left and right outputs? If not, what tube pre amp does have left and right outputs? My budget is about the same for pre amp ($200 or less.) Thanks for any recommendations!

One thing U need to look at is...........

A) what are U using as a DI??? you mixer, a tube mp or maybe a POD or other DI box???

B)what kinda amp do U have??? and is it any good.....

and if U do have a nice amp and U wanna mic it, a 57 will work quite well, for placement, the general consensus is facing the amp about 45 degrees of axis to the cone.

Sabith

I'm using a Tech-21 SansAmp GT2 tube emulator as a DI right now for my guitar, and a Tech-21 Bass DI thru my bass amp as a DI for my bass rig (I cant run the Bass DI direct so I run it to my bass amp and run a line out from the phones jack..) I do not have a mixer, however my Delta 66 has a software mixer. My guitar amp is just a little solid state amp which sounds pretty good with the GT2. The bass amp is a Hartke which sounds pretty good with the Bass DI also.

How come you can't run the Bass DI direct? Most people would suggest just running bass direct instead of micing the amp. That's what I do and I think it sounds just fine...I just need some compression on it.

One thing that I forgot to ask, is what is the problem with your DI'ed sound???? and what kinda geetar U using???
Cause I don't know the DI box your using off hand.... so I don't how good it is, because I know that the Line6 POD is a great DI box, I've used it and I love it.

El Barto, my bass DI problem is: 1) It does not have left and right outputs, so I cant get stereo. 2) The main problem is when I do run it in direct to my Delta 66, I get very little volume. The VU meters show signal, but I cant hear shit. So I run it to my bass amp first, so I can use its volume control and the phones jack is stereo so I run a cord that splits off into two RCA's with 1/4th adapters on them. This is the only way I have managed to get the Bass DI to work. This is also how it was recorded on my mp3's in the mixing clinic.
Sabith, the DI'ed sound lacks that "amp" sound. It has the tube sound due to the GT-2 and has distortion from my RP-10 but does not sound like it's comming from an amp. This is with both my American Fender Std. Strat. and Mexican Fender P-bass. The Tech-21 GT-2 seems to pretty popular, it is usualy put up next to the POD like the Tech-21 Bass DI is put up next to a Bass POD.

"(I cant run the Bass DI direct so I run it to my bass amp and run a line out from the phones jack..)"

I think that is the prob, no amp that I have ever seen gives a good sound from any output..........(not couting the speaker of course =P)

do U have a preamp U can use at all??? because I think that if you can avoid using your amp's headphone jack as a mic preamp, it might solve your prob, or help at least.

Just an idea,

Sabith

Well, I tried running the bass with the bass DI in the same way as I run my guitar with the GT-2, by going from the DI to an input on a drum machine which has left and right outs that go to the soundcard. This works great for guitar with the GT-2, but I get very low volume when I try it with the bass DI. Damn, it sounds like I need a guitar and bass POD. Thats a bit expensive, especially with my guitar repairs and stuff. So, what do ya think: to mic or not to mic!?!

Emulators are really good but your ears are too sensative for "almost" and "nearly" to cut it.That's why the sound of a guitar through an amp is still the standard in these high-tech days.Pod guys hold your fire!Use it if you like it,but its not for me.If you HAVE to go that direction,consider the J-Station also.
That's my theory,now to your actual questions.The SM57 is most often used for instrument miking,even in high-end studios with beaucoup gear.The 58 has an upper-mid boost singers like live but which makes it less suitable for miking an guitar cabinet.
The Presonus Blue Tube stereo preamp at $150 may have all the features you want.I'm in the market for a pre also and this unit certainly beats Art in terms of price,specs and QC.
Tom

1) Why do you think you need to run your bass DI in stereo? Am I missing something? Run it mono to the board. if you wanna pan, pan. If ya wanna run stereo effects, run em. Why DI in stereo? Hmmmm...

2) Tom Hicks is crazy. It's sooooo much easier to get a good recordable guitar sound through a POD than micing. ESPECIALLY if you really can't crank up the amp. For $350, a POD is worth every cent and more. Play one at your local music store! You can also find some mp3 samples of some of the POD sounds. They sound GREAT, as most guitar players in the world will tell you. I'm curious what Tom sees (or hears) wrong with the POD.

3) Although I seem to be in the minority (and frankly could care less about that fact), I MUCH prefer the detailed sound you get from a decent large-diaphragm condenser mic for guitar. THe RODE NT1 sound GREAT stuff right up close the center of the cone on an amp or cab. 57 are great for live sound, or for using in combination with a condenser, but if you want a great sound with 1 mic, buy an NT1 ($200).

4) Buy, beg, borrow or steal a Line 6 POD. You will NOT be disappointed.

5) Did I mention the POD?

To clarify, if you're recording clean guitar, running direct will give a very accurate tone ... If you like a clean tone through tubes, you will likely be disappointed running direct.

Which brings me to my next point: It's MUCH easier to get a good sounding clean tone when miking than when running overdrive/distortion. The more gain you crank up, the more complex waveforms your creating. I'm used to recording heavy guitar sounds, and I can get the right sound with a condenser mic much quicker than fighting a dynamic. It depends a lot on the sound you're looking for.

I didn't mean to harsh Tom as much as it appeared I did in my last post, and I offer my apologies.

REMEMER THIS, though (everyone): If it sounds right, it's right. There are really no absolutes, and while you can absorb all the advice want, your ears have the power of veto. Good luck!!

Does your Delta 66 have a mic in?. If so then from the DI plug it into that and that will solve your level problem.
Is you "66" a +4dBm or -10dBv?. If it's -10 then it's most likley not a amp problem.
I also don't understand the fact that you see a signal but can't hear any thing. Can you explain this?. You should not be having these problems with a DI

As to the stereo option - Gabriel is correct you use a stereo affect or and panning to achive a stereo sound for bass.

Forget about micing the amp for the bass.

You might like to try some active pickups or an active DI.

Back