Alternatives to ball mount mic stand adapters to provide swivel/ 90 degree functions

Dans Klimkowski

Hi,

I use ball mount mic stand adapters often (like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&A=details&Q= )

They are great but sometimes make the stand system more liable to fall. I am wondering if there are alternatives that offer similar functions but reduce the liability to fall. There are two types of things i have in mind:

1. A mic stand adapter which could provide a swivel function, but not a full ball (and not provide the same full range of motion as a ball adapter), so that it can only swivel on one axis (360* or less). I can imagine this working well.

2. A mic stand adapter which allows you to position a microphone at a set degree, ie it allows you to position it at 90 degrees down or up. This again would remove alot of the range of motion of a ball mount, but it would make it more secure. (ive found this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,91438732682,&is=REG&A=details which seems pretty good actually, but wondering if there is anything that is smaller) I have thought about taping the ball mount adapter, so i can try this if theres not premade solutions, but not sure if that will work.

Do either of these exist?

Id also be glad to hear if you know of any other types of alternatives to ball mounts that have some benefits or good use cases.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I use ball mount mic stand adapters often (like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&A=details&Q= )

They are great but sometimes make the stand system more liable to fall. I am wondering if there are alternatives that offer similar functions but reduce the liability to fall.

Ahhh...a stand with a boom, with a decent counterweight. :)

For real heavy mics, with long extensions, I'll toss a sandbag on the stand base. I have a few of these saddle-bag type sand bags, I think they are used a lot by the photography guys, because you can also hang them on the tail of the boom arm....but that's for real big stands. I just put them on the base, and it's not going anywhere.

Ahhh...a stand with a boom, with a decent counterweight. :)

For real heavy mics, with long extensions, I'll toss a sandbag on the stand base. I have a few of these saddle-bag type sand bags, I think they are used a lot by the photography guys, because you can also hang them on the tail of the boom arm....but that's for real big stands. I just put them on the base, and it's not going anywhere.

I buy shot filled wrist/ankle weights when I see them cheap at the second hand store. With their Velcro strips you can secure them around the stand.

That's a great idea. :thumbs up:

These sand bags are OK...you can load them up for real heavy stuff (which I rarely need), so when I drop on on the base of a stand, that sucker isn't going anywhere...only thing, no matter how good I seal them, I get sand dust coming out.
It's not a big deal, as I don't use them too often...but at the time, I was looking for something else to fill them with, and sand was the easiest/cheapest.
Filling them with shot, even partially, would be a cleaner solution...or something that doesn't seep through the zipper teeth like sand dust can.

Back