Alternative Mic to CAD e100s?

I snipped out a couple quiet parts, spliced them together, and normalized to bring up the levels. It does sound like something with a motor in the background, possibly an A/C unit as suggested. Maybe a faint dog bark as well (?) :)
My own mics will pick up a quartz clock ticking about 6 feet away that I can't normally hear.

Oh, wow, thanks! There aren't any AC vents here, and my AC units are off (it's cold here now). But maybe the mic is picking up on my computer in the other room. Also, I'm pretty sure the "dog bark" is me sighing/breathing lol

I wouldn't use any treatment on your track. At home, I use EQ with a high pass filter to remove most lower frequencies. In my office at work, I have an extremely loud AC vent above my desk that makes recording very difficult. There, I have to use a dynamic mic (Heil PR40), and then remove most of the background noise with SoundSoap 5+. Audacity has a noise reduction feature that could completely eliminate whatever little noise is in your background, but I'm not sure if it would be necessary. Using EQ in Audacity to remove the low (lower than a human voice can create) frequencies without affecting the sound of your voice.

Thanks! I was actually looking at the Heil PR40, but I wasn't sure if using a dynamic would be the right move and also wasn't sure if I'd be able to provide enough gain.

Honestly, I don't think there's need for a different mic whether dynamic or not.

The amount of noise on your recording is nowhere near enough to be concerned about unless you're releasing pro-audio books or something.
If you really want to minimise the already minimal noise, there's a number of things to try first.

Turn the gain down and move closer to the mic a bit. If there's room to get closer without issues, that'll have a huge impact.
Shut the door. Assuming the mic isn't picking the computer up through a closed door.....
Turn the mic so the source of noise is behind it or in the pattern's null.
Decrease the speed, or increase the size, of the computer fans.

Hope that's useful.

Back