Alrighty...who has a Neumann U87?

jkuehlin

We're talking run of the mill stock 87. Not telefunken, not vintage. Of all the other high end mics I have, I actually don't own one at the moment. Was thinking about picking a up a pair.

What do I need them for? I probably don't actually 'need' them at all. What do I intend on using them for? Anything it outperforms everything else on. Mainly animation and character voiceovers. But I would stick it infront of a guitar amp once in a while to amuse myself.

Any thoughts?

Do you guy like the mic?

If you have Manleys, Pelusos, Blue stuff, A C800, or Bock, Telefunken etc... what have you found it better than vs not as good as. Lemmie know :D

Nope way out of my budget. I did settle for two Neumann TLM 102's I got used off of eBay. So far I'm very happy with them, and they satisfy that Neumann craving. Even though they are entry level Neumanns, they still sound great to me. They were designed with the home studio in mind....tada, I have a home studio.

My partner at the "other" studio I work in (the one jimmys69 visited) has a vintage '71 U87 and an iFet, and until recently we had another partner with a modern U87. I've used a Peluso 22 251 (ELA M inspired). I've used some of these mics through Shadow Hills, Millenia, Daking, ISA, UA and other preamps.

A U87 is going to be very good on any nice sounding source. You can hardly go wrong with them but they vary a bit. I was skeptical but once I heard the vintage U87 I had to admit it was sweeter than the modern one.

One of my favorite recordings was a test on a drum kit of the modern U87 and the iFet in M-S configuration, about a 1m out from the kick and a bit above the top of the kick rim. The iFet is cardioid only so the U87 was set to figure 8 for the side. It was a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
My partner at the "other" studio I work in (the one jimmys69 visited) has a vintage '71 U87 and an iFet, and until recently we had another partner with a modern U87. I've used a Peluso 22 251 (ELA M inspired). I've used some of these mics through Shadow Hills, Millenia, Daking, ISA, UA and other preamps.

A U87 is going to be very good on any nice sounding source. You can hardly go wrong with them but they vary a bit. I was skeptical but once I heard the vintage U87 I had to admit it was sweeter than the modern one.

One of my favorite recordings was a test on a drum kit of the modern U87 and the iFet in M-S configuration, about a 1m out from the kick and a bit above the top of the kick rim. The iFet is cardioid only so the U87 was set to figure 8 for the side. It was a beautiful thing.

That's one thing that I've heard a few times about the vintage U87s, is that since they've lived long and (potentially) hard lives, a lot of them have been serviced, modified, left unrepaired, etc. So it seems like the amount of variability is pretty immense with them. I heard Steven Slate say when he was doing press for his virtual mic/pre thingy was that when they decided to model a U87, they had a hard time deciding which specific one to model. They were all so different.

Is the modern equivalent the U87 AI model? I don't quite get all of the distinctions in the U87 line of models.

Back