Alan... No Stephen Paul Mic?

DJL

Self Banned
The Stephen Paul mic wasn't on the market because Stephen Paul didn't finish working on the microphone yet... now that Stephen Paul is dead, my question is.... is there going to be a Stephen Paul mic for sale on the market now, and if so, who's going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions?

From what I read at the PMI forum on at rec.org, the design is final. The only things left out there are the decisions on the sourcing for some parts and the final "go".

The message that Alan left here and on rec.org is that the microphone will be a memorial to Stephen...what part of that led you to believe that it wouldn't be built?

Stephen never gave the final "go"... did Alan say who's going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions?

Tony Merrill is more than qualified to make any final tweaks to the Stephen Paul mic in accordance with Stephen's goals for the mic's performance. He's been Stephan's "hands" for several years now.

Is Stephen Paul's assistant Tony Merrill going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions... and later debugging if need be?

Does anyone have a link to somewhere we could find information about the mic in general? I'd be interested to hear about it and I should think others don't know much about it like me.

The mic doesn't exist yet... and the project design plans have been top secret... so your not really going to hear much about the mic itself.... except "buy it", but hopefully we'll know more soon.

Last edited:
DJL said:
Is Stephen Paul's assistant Tony Merrill going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final design decisions... and later debugging if need be?
Let me make this perfectly clear: AFAIK, the mic is completely finished and working. During one of my last conversations with Stephen, he was still waiting on some unique parts to be finished so that they could begin production. These parts did not affect the final sound; they were strictly innovative switches. They did NOT affect the final sound in any way.

The mic is finished as far as I know and was expected to be shown either at the NAMM show in January, or released in February. There are no "final design decisions"; Stephen's vision was completed before he died.

Finally, Tony Merrill is far from just being "Stephen Paul's assistant" - he's become one amazing designer in his own right, who is more than capable of carrying on Stephen's legacy. He was in on the original design from the beginning - he fully understands the reason behind every piece inside the mic.

Stephen knew he was dying; from conversations with Stephen, it was pretty obvious to me that he meant for Tony to carry on his legacy, and he prepared Tony for that eventuality.

DJL said:
The mic doesn't exist yet... and the project design plans have been top secret... so your not really going to hear much about the mic itself.... except "buy it".
Why are you doing this, DJL? The mic does exist.

I talked to Stephen at great lengths about the design implementation, and why he was doing the various things he was doing. He even invited me down to the shop to hear the damn thing (an offer I regretfully couldn't take him up on at the time).

Unless you have access to some top secret information that is unknown to me, why are you implying that after almost two years of work on this (and a scheduled release date in February), that the mic doesn't even exist, and will only be seen as a hyped product?

It's a slap in the face to Stephen's efforts and I, for one, resent it.

Stephen and I have talked for almost 20 years about his building a microphone the way he wanted it to be, from the ground up. It was always his dream. To have him die, only weeks from seeing that dream finally realized, is a tragedy beyond measure for me.

Trash me if you wish, or question Alan's motives, but please let Stephen have his final moment of satisfaction.

At least wait for the parade to start before pissing on it.

DJL,

Why do you always assume to know and understand things you do not know. You say Stephen did not finish the mic. Why do you say this? Why do you even post it when you have no clue of what has taken place with this mic?

You then say Stephen never gave the final go. Do you read the minds of people, or can you offer proof to back up your statements? Why do you just blurt out statements with no foundation to it?

Furthermore, if people want to buy this mic without hearing it, then what possible business is it of yours to tell people what they can, or cant do? No one is asking you to buy it.

I have kept quiet about you for some time now. I have sat and watched you bait people into arguments, I have watched you be the one man wrecking machine to try and destroy my work.

I saw where you apologized in another thread, and I almost was willing to accept your apology, but now after reading what you posted here, I am not.

I will not call you names, or try to argue with you as that is pointless. With the exception of maybe two people on this entire group, I think it is obvious that most would prefer to see you leave. Just knowing that is enough for me, and you have to know and live with that each time you post here.

Now, if you were to ask these questions instead of telling people what you think you know, the answers and correct information would be this:

Stephen had already approved all stages of this mic, as well as some other models. The hold up is parts and final assembly. We do not have all the parts in yet. The manual has to be writen, and the Shock Mount finished. As soon as that is done, the mic can go to assembly and then it ships...End of story.

As for Tony, he has worked under Stephen for at leat 12 to 15 years that I know of. Tony knows everything there is know about the way Stephen did things, and the fact that Brent Casey and I have been in constant design meetings with Stephen gave us a complete understanding of what and how Stephen designed.

None of us is Stephen Paul, but we know what he wanted, and we will do that.

Ok, I read all the above and I want to thank you all for answering my question. Before Stephen died, he said something to the effect that the mic is built on a new ground breaking design... he didn't want to talk about it because he'd been ripped off in the past and he didn't want anyone beating him to the finish line.... I also think I remembering him saying something about getting the diaphragms from Sennheiser... that's what I mean by top secret. Anyway, if the mic is finished there's nothing to worry about... so when are we going to hear more about the new ground breaking mic design itself, what makes it so different, and etc? Thanks.

Oh yeah, and I only called Tony Merrill Stephen Paul's assistant because we are talking about the Stephen Paul microphone.

Last edited:
DJL said:
I also think I remembering him saying something about getting the diaphragms from Sennheiser... that's what I mean by top secret. .

This is exaxctly what I am talking about DJL. Why say anything when you have no correct information. Get this through your head. WE ARE BUILDING THE CAPSULE IN THE USA. It is a custom designed capsule. IT IS NOT MADE BY SENNHEISER OR ANYONE ELSE. IT IS MADE BY US!

Stop guessing! When the mic is out, it will be out. When the reviews hit, then you will know what we did. We will not release any information to its design as Stephen was ripped off before by a German Company, and we will not let it happen again...

I'm pretty sure I remembering him saying something about getting the diaphragms from Sennheiser/Neumann... I tried doing a search on this forum to see if I could find something about it, but I can't remember what ID name he used here... do you remember?

When and where in the USA did you build your diaphragm factory?

Man getting any info about the Stephen Paul mic from you sales people is like trying to pull a horse tooth.

No sense of remorse. You sir are just a goof. Every time you open your mouth, you prove it!
Good day, sir.
I said, "Good day".
In His Name
BK

DJL said:
I'm pretty sure I remembering him saying something about getting the diaphragms from Sennheiser/Neumann... I tried doing a search on this forum to see if I could find something about it, but I can't remember what ID name he used here... do you remember?

Man getting any info about the Stephen Paul mic from you sales people is like trying to pull a horse tooth.

What part of I am not releasing any information until after the microphone is released do you not understand?

DJL said:

Stephen has given a lot his design secrets to Sennheiser and Neumann, who used them without crediting Stephen's work in diaphragm design.

Stephen has always had the capability to build diaphragms from scratch and has been one of the leading Neumann capsule rebuilder for years. His .6, .7, and .9 micron handmade diaphragms for the Neumanns are legendary. Even Neumann acknowledges that some of their older microphones can only be repaired by Stephen's company. Neumann CAN'T repair them.

At one point, he was the only person outside the entire Neumann organization to be listed as an official Neumann repair station, and that was due to the insistance of most of the major recording studios who would only allow Stephen to modify or repair their mics.

Stephen's reputation for microphone diaphragm manufacturing is well known by every industry professional for the last 20 years.

Your question "When and where in the USA did you build your diaphragm factory?" is a joke. The idea that Stephen would even consider Sennheiser to supply diaphragms for his mic is an even bigger joke.

They're sad jokes, since it's obvious you have no clue as to who and what Stephen Paul was to this industry. His client list is staggering.

I question not, what-so-ever, of why absolutely no information is released before the actual product release; and while I know quite a bit of what's going on, I truly have not a clue in the large scheme of things.

Regardless, knowing what I know, Alan, can you shoot me a call or email about possibly getting on the backorder-type list? Or, I will contact you... I want to jump-on the bandwagon before its release, before the masses jump-on it as well, once the world realizes how big of a mic this really is! Once it's released, time to sell a thing or two so that I can afford it when my number is ready for delivery.

Alan, ironic, our conversation on Stephen Paul a few years ago when we met in person, and now here we are today! Who knew?

Weston Ray aka Recording Engineer

geez....

Alan i think what he doesnt understand is respect, compassion,
common sense, comprehension of written sentences, his relentless attack on P.M.I. and you personally has caused many to simply pass over his postings. stating things he has no
knowledge of makes his game the more obvious.

Ray

Back