Alan-A few questions about the Studio Projects B series

chessparov

Hi Alan, I was curious about the upcoming B series that, if I understood your website
information, are coming out at the end of the year. How similar (or different) is the sound going to be compared to the C series? I particularly interested in the B3 (multi-pattern) as I'll probably be doing some live recordings of acapella quartets and may either match the omni I have (Audio-Technica 3527) or upgrade to yours.

P.S. I might also be upgrading from the Aphex 107 mic pre and was wondering the
approximate signal to noise ratio of the Studio Projects VTP-1 if that's
available. Thanks in advance!

Hello again Alan, I figure that you've been real busy so I'm just posting
again. So if you'd like to tell me (us) more about the B series beyond
what's on the website feel free. I noticed these have a mike clamp
instead of a shock mount so they may be especially suited for live work.
How much quieter do you think the VTP-1 will be than the V3Q's pre?
When the V3Q is cranked all the way up I can hear a (mild) hiss,
especially when the phantom power is on. Thanks!

Hey Chess,

I have been in Sweden at the LLB Show, so I have been gone for over a week. The show was amazing, and the reception to the B Series which we had on display was spectacular. The set up allowed you to A/B them right next to the C Series, and the Neumann U87ai. I had the B Series B1 plugged into the VT-1 mic pre, and it was magic for sure.

I think for this years AES Show, I will hang a Brauner on our display, just for the hell of it and piss off some more high end guys. Hey, I need my fun :D

Outside of the size and packaging, the only difference is the sonic sound of the B Series. It is voiced differently, yet the quality of the build and sound is way better than the price you will pay.

It is voiced a little darker than the C Series. This is not to say they have no high end, but it is a different sound. The C Series is better in my opinion, yet we had many who liked the B Series more, but I expected that as all opinions vary, but the B Series is very close to the C Series.

What can I say without getting myself into trouble. For the price of the new B Series, it should set the industry to a new standard. They simply cant be beat by anything other than the C Series. It should prove interesting.

As for the VT-1, yes, it is much quieter, and much hipper, but it is only a mic pre. That is to say it has no compression or eq, but those models will be coming next year. The comments from those who have heard the VT-1 are great. They are worth the wait. :D

hi alan,
i saw you were getting ready to produce a tb-1 tube mic at $399 list. i must admit that i have had serious doubts about purchasing any condenser mic under $500 after my dismay with the rode nt1 which was majorly hyped when it came out. ive never seen a true tube mic ever near double that price, so whats the deal? how can you afford to sell that mic at that price without compromises in quality?

Sciabin, Alan loses money on each Studio Projects mike, BUT he makes up
for it in volume! (sorry-couldn't resist)

Thanks Alan for the info, it was getting a little too quiet without you!
Is the TB-1 going to use the same (or simular) tube as the T3?

Where's the SD condensers???

Hey Allan! Wasn't there an SD condenser in the works?

Queue

Hey Guys,

Well, Chess is partly right. My operation is not nearly as large as most of the other companies, so my profit percentage can be smaller, but I do expect to sell large quantities...which we are doing. I spend a good deal more on my mics than my competition, but my margins are smaller, so it evens out in the end where I can compete favorably.

The TB-1 does use the same 6072 tube as the T3. I have to admit, the TB-1 is very impressive...more impressive than any low cost mics I have ever seen or heard, but then again, the C Series is very impressive, so you gotta believe we know how to build them the right way. Like I said, the B Series will be questioned at first, but I know what they can do, so I expect everyone after hearing the reports will run out to buy all of the models.

We are looking at a SD mic, but until I am satisfied with its performance, I won't bring it out. My time is spent of the VT-1 right now with building it in the USA which C7sus will be happy to know. He better buy one of them or we will be fighting again. :D

Re: C7sus

You mean you aren't going to send him a VT-1 UPS C.O.D.?
Seriously, I hope he's doing well-haven't seen him posting for
a while...

You must've missed the post. C7 traveled cross country to find some work. He's in Boston IIRC. Riley357's been keeping us updated on how he's doing. He's been working real hard from what she says. Alas, no posts...

Queue

Back