AKG3000 vs Rode NT-1

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
I heard a convincing argument (from a salesman) that the NT-1 smoked the AKG3000 for the money... I don't quite recall the details but he (salesman) was very convincing... And I am rarely convinced of anything... especially by a salesman.

Any thoughts???

S8-N

I'm just one more opinion, but I've used both of these mics and I think the NT-1 is superior hands down. The C3000 is over-rated --- It never really provided the kind of detail or warmth I was expecting. But the NT-1 is the real deal --- Extreme detail, and as long as the levels don't get to high, you can use it to record anything.

As Dragon would say, do a search of the BBS for this topic... I think I even started a thread with the same topic name a while back.
Anyway, I took the advice I rec'd and went with the Rode NT-1 and was very pleasantly surprised. It is pure and simple, the best vocal mic I have ever owned for the price. The warmth is unbeatable at that price.
However, I intended that mic to be used for vocals only. If you are looking for a condenser that is good for vocals and instruments, I think the C3000 might be good for you (switchable patterns).

P.S. I think it is a local mag, but do you get "Music Connection" mag in Florida? If not, this week contains an in depth article about micing drums. If you are interested, email me and I would be glad to send you a copy.

"better" is a subjective term in this price range. the rode is different from the akg, and both are different from the AT models. but the overall quality is pretty similar - they will all do an adequate job. the akg seems a little warmer than the rode, and the AT 40xx models seem a bit fuller than either the rode or akg. the incremental cost differences will give you incremental improvements in your vocal sound. by the best mic you can afford.

My friend was looking into a lower-end large diaphragm mic for vocals a while ago. He ask my opinion in which mic to get. I gave him the two possibilities of the AKG C3000 (though I'd never heard it), and the Rode Nt1. When he went to the local music store, the salesman (who I'm associated with because of some of my past sales with him) also recommended the Nt1. Of course he tried the both out side-by-side and concluded himself the Nt1 being better of the two and actually said the C3000 didn't even compare. Just something to think about even though that's one of the worst ways to compare mics (at a music store (at least it wasn't just through headphones, but through various monitors). A few months later, they started to actually record mics and played them back so people could really compare.

those are some pretty definitive opinions, and seem a bit unfair to the akg's. i have a pair of them and they perform about like what i expect for that money. they have the same gold-sputtered capsule found in the akg 414, certainly an industry standard. in my A/B testing, they compared very favorably to the AT40xx series in both warmth, sensitivity, and output. they were not as warm as the TLM103s. i have not tested the rode, but trust that you folks using it are pleased, and that is a good bottom line. not everybody has to like or use the same mics.
here is a link to a review of the akg c3000 - http://squid.netplus.net/~aloeffler/equipment/AKG/c3000.htm

and here is a link to a review of the rode nt-1 - http://squid.netplus.net/~aloeffler/equipment/RODE/NT1.htm

Anti-Blessings bestowed upon all... That is what I call RESPONSE to a post...

Thank ya,
S8-N

I think these picture thingys are rely cool, i wounder if we can get any more.

Ok, down to bussines, i actualy am asking myself the same question at the moment and cant decide which to go for. There is always the price differance which makes the rode seem better, but i have been told by people the the rode isn't nearly as good as the AKG c3000 for instruments. I'm not shure if that is true if anyone elce has input that states otherwise please wright back.

Also does any one have both mics that can give a review?
And i'm looking at the rode c1000s, i want to buy two for the pourpose of micing drums is that a good idea? What are the c1000s like?

HAWLK --- At one time, I owned both the C3000 and the NT-1 (I traded in the C3000 for a kick drum mic, but that's another story). The NT-1 can record any acoustic instrument --- results in a wonderful, detailed, "velvety" sound. The only possible edge the C3000 might have is in handling sound-pressure level (i.e. cranked amplifiers). But I haven't actually tried the NT-1 on a loud amp, so it may not do too bad there either. The C3000 can go hypercardioid too, but I think that's an over-rated feature. Hey, I just think the NT-1 is a much better mic, for about the same price.

Hypercardioid is mainly for live performances. It reduces the pattern so that the mic picks up less background noise.

So every one here thinks go for the nt1 rather than the c3000 because it is better, but is there any truth to the c3000 being a better instrument mic because i need it mainly for guitar.

Also about the c1000s, how would a drum kit sound with two c1000s as overheads and a sm57 on the bass drum (no other mics).

I've never tried to mic a bass drum with a SM57, but it will work if you don't have anything else; I'd shoot for an AKG D112 or Audio Technica ATM25 though. I use a D112 and an ATM25 as my two options for bass drum live, though I'm not too fond of the D112 for recording. But I think it would do better than a 57 for bass drum.

I got great results with the older C1000s as overheads and an Audio Technica ATM25 on bass drum for three years. But about a year ago, I upgraded to using a matched-pair of Neumann TLM103s as overheads (I love them in a three mic drum set-up). I plan to buy an RTT VM100 in about a week for bass drum.

With both the C1000s and the 103s, I've gotten best results in an ORTF configuration.

HAWLK:

I would say first, for electric guitar through an amp, the mic isn't so critical because amp speakers don't cover a wide frequency spectrum. Many people like inexpensive dynamic mics for amplifiers.

For recording acoustic guitar, the Rode NT-1 is certainly very good, but it isn't necessarily better than a small-diaphram condenser. My favorite steel-string acoustic guitar mic is the AudioTechnica 3528 --- It has a terrific, sparkling sound, and costs less than the NT-1.

There are a lot of choices for guitar, but the C3000 is definitely not the best choice!

Hey Hawlk...
I think the setup with a SM57 and two C1000 would sound better than you think... You can always boost the lows with EQ for the kick...
With the C1000's I could have easily done without mic'ing the snare and toms cause they picked up a ton of sound from 'em... Actually they picked up enough kick for most people too... With some careful EQing you could get a decent sound from these 3 mics...

S8-N

Ok, now if you had the choice betwine 2 C1000s's or one nt1/nt2 as overheads what would you pick.
By the way thanx guys

I would go with 2 C1000's for the stereo panning of the cymbals... It is a really nice touch...
I started out with one C1000 and mic'ed the cymbals mono center...
The addition of another C1000 for stereo overheads made a world of difference... I like hearing the high hat on one side and the ride on the other... If your drummer plays lots of little effects cymbals like splashes and ice bells... it is a must...

Go with stereo overheads...

S8-N

I've used the C1000's for overheads for years.. Great mic's. I have the older model, bought 3 of them around 93 or 94. However, I'm renting 2 Rode NT2's which I plan to use for overheads, vocals and acoustic... I'll have more to say then I suppose.

Back