AKG Perception P220 on sale

mjbphotos

MF has it in their new catalog for $130, $20 off normal price, good deal. I've got the previous generation version, and like it -comes with shockmount and an aluminum carry case. Has bass roll-off switch and 20dB pad switch. For $179, they have the P420 which is multi-pattern.

This mic has a mod that really helps with the brittle top end. There is a 470pF ceramic cap under the capsule; change it out to a 1000 or 1500pF polystyrene film cap and the top end becomes really smooth (higher values roll off more HF). There is plenty of room just make sure to use heat sinks when soldering it in to avoid changing the cap value. Really sounds nice.

This mic has a mod that really helps with the brittle top end. There is a 470pF ceramic cap under the capsule; change it out to a 1000 or 1500pF polystyrene film cap and the top end becomes really smooth (higher values roll off more HF). There is plenty of room just make sure to use heat sinks when soldering it in to avoid changing the cap value. Really sounds nice.

I've found the P220 to be fairly consistent, frequency response-wise. What frequencies do think are 'brittle'? (Maybe higher than I can hear with my old ears!)

I've found the P220 to be fairly consistent, frequency response-wise. What frequencies do think are 'brittle'? (Maybe higher than I can hear with my old ears!)

Quite. Where is this capacitor in the circuit? To suggest a modification without a schematic and a knowledge of the function for ANY device is irresponsible IMO. Basically this is unthinking "circuit bending"!

Dave.

cannot see any AKG endorsement for that mod? I am very sure my old firm would take a very dim view of unofficial mods to their amplifiers!

It was making a bit of sense until, the guy started slagging off the ceramic capacitor*? Total Russ Andrew's bllx. Yes, SOME types of ceramic caps produce more distortion than SOME foil caps but the effect is barely measureable at FIVE volts rms, at mic levels any distortion products would be buried WAY down in the noise.

*In any case an INPUT coupler MIGHT have an effect on the LF performance but it is hard to see it having any effect at 12kHz when there would be buggerall volts across it!

So, until AKG tell me otherwise, complete hoss feathers.

Dave.

Back