Akg D690

Richard Monroe

Has anyone in the world except me used this mic? It has been my standard for a stage mic for longer than I can remember, and when I started recording, they told me to use an SM57 or 58. I didn't have either one of them, because they sound awful on my voice in every situation. So I stuck it on a cab, and the results were every bit as satisfying. This is my vote for the most underated dynamic mic going. An apparently discontinued model, it lists for $80, about the same as an SM57, and I recently picked one up at guitar center for $36 with sales tax included. Talk about a cheap HO that will never let you down...Richie

I just bought a PA and the guy threw in one of these mics :) I was googling it and this old thread came up =o

Richard,

The AKG D690 is similar to the very well thought of AKG D770 except it's hypercardiod. I have two of them and i use them all the time. I even used a 690 on a stand up bass live and it really kicked. Once at Blues Fest I was having trouble with a mic and I started swapping stuff out. After I fixed the problem I just left the D690 up there and a bunch of people sang through it and it sounded great.

Then this spring we needed some extra mics for the Jazz Pop vocal ensemble. The stage mics were SM 58s, Beta 87s, and some wireless Shure mics. My 690s were at the far end. They did a little EQ on them to make them sound like the Shures and they worked great. We sang "This Masquerade", "Route 66", and "Oye Como Va". In a group like this vocal blend is extremely important and the 690s were not a problem.

I prefer the 770 and the 690 over the SM58. They seem to have a smoother cleaner sound.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back