AKG C414 XLS - Stupid question

Marais

Hi,
I just bought a stereo pair (= 2) AKG C414 XLS microphones.

Started some tests and noticed that it seems there were 2 channels =2 microphones??? in each.

I have been using the Neumann KM 184 which are very straightforward.
I'm sure there must be something in the AKG lenghty manual but if anyone here knows the answer.

To be clear each microphone has only ONE microphone
OR each one has two as some cheaper microphones such as AT 822 for instance.

Thanks in advance for answering my stupid question.

Ummm, no. They are multi pattern mics, meaning you can switch the pickup pattern. Assume what you are seeing is each mic is tracking to a stereo track in your DAW. You need to set your DAW for mono tracks.

So if I understand correctly each mic is MONO which perplexes me still that the DAW can split one microphone into two mono signals. What am I missing?

So if I understand correctly each mic is MONO which perplexes me still that the DAW can split one microphone into two mono signals. What am I missing?

The 414 is a mono mic, but splitting a signal into two copies is not hard to do, either intentionally or by accident. It's probably just a setting in your DAW that's doing it. I do believe it uses the typical dual element method of deriving the multiple patterns. Two condenser mic diaphragms are placed back to back, and they are combined in different ways to get the different patterns. You can't access the two elements separately outside the mic.

The 822 is a stereo mic with high impedance unbalanced output. It has a pair of condenser elements in an X-Y configuration. It uses an XLR for ground/left/right instead of ground/hot/cold, and it comes with a cable that splits that out to a pair of 1/4" TS plugs. The more expensive 825 has a 5-pin XLR and a cable that splits it out to a pair or standard 3-pin XLR plugs.

One XLR cable = Mono. lots of daws do the stereo channel thing, but one input, one source is mono. Just set up your daw for the mono channel.

Back