AKG C414 XLII and LA-610 Good Combo?

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I currently own the AKG C414 XLII and am considering purchasing an LA-610 Signature Edition with the NOS tubes and Cinemag transformers. Anyone tried this pair? Do you think they would match well?

Thanks,

Unless you set the dials wrong it should sound pretty damn good. Those are serious pieces of quality gear.

Thanks. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the TLM103 with the LA610 but haven't heard anything about the C414 with it.

I too own a C414 buls, and am thinking of seriously purchasing a channel strip to go with my 2488 neo. The main reason that I want to purchase the LA 610 is for my Lawson MP 47 tube mike, with the 414 seondary. It already sounds great but the on board compressor and the pre on my unit in my opinion isn't quite up to par. I am reading a lot about the LA 610 being paired up with the TLM03 and condensors of that sort, but not enough of being paired with high end tube condensers. Since my budget is in the La 610 range, can anyone out there offer some opinions or suggestions for my future purchase? I can actually get a very good price on the La unit, but it's still a lot of dough for a hobby and want to make a sensible choice.

Thanks

Jer-Bear

Well after talking to a lot of sales engineers, I was told that the UA LA 610 would sound great on my c-414 and not as good on my Lawson MP-47. They said that since my tube mike was a little on the dark side to begin with, there would be too much coloration added to my sound. I talked to three audio engineers, and they all said the same thing. So to make a long story short, I popped the extra cash and purchased an Avalon 737 sp. It sounds wonderful on both mikes.

Jer-Bear

Congrats on your new acquisition. I was thinking the same thing. The xlii is a fairly bright mic so I've ordered the LA-610 Signature Edition. Can't wait till it arrives!

Back