AKG C414 vs. Shure KSM44?

For a main Mic in a project studio. I doint know about different types of 414s, but which ever one costs around $700 is the one I want to compare the the Shure

I wouldn't. The newest version is C414 XLS. I've worked extensively with the 414 and KSM44 and I prefer the 414 on acoustic instruments, and the 44 on vocals. They are botr great, versatile workhorse mics, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either one.-Richie

Shakez' post raises an interesting question ... with all the hype and quotes from pros using them, should we take a punt on the more expensive SE and ADK mics? Or are we scared of buying from a company that makes the cheapest of the cheap too?

Richie - You've obviously played somewhat 'safe' with your mic locker choices ... would you do the same if you had your time over? Also, I want an up to date photo of your mic collection ... I think the one on your site is out of date?

Milkfaj said:
Which is Better?

There are two different "current" 414s. There's two more 414s that were just discontinued, but have been around for over 10 years. There's even earlier 414s.

It's would be hard to tell which is "better" as that would (usually) depend on what you were recording, how it was going to be used, and a dozen other variables.

They're not the same. Having one (or two) of each would certain be better.

Reactions: krs
noisedude said:
Shakez' post raises an interesting question ... with all the hype and quotes from pros using them, should we take a punt on the more expensive SE and ADK mics? Or are we scared of buying from a company that makes the cheapest of the cheap too?

AKG makes some absolute cheap shit. AKG had a rep back in the day and were one of the major manufacturers of some stunning mics. Those days are gone. The only mics AKG makes anymore that are worth writing home about are the 414's, D112 and 451.

I would pick the ADK TL or one of the AKG 414's over the KSM44. A very good deal now is on the discountinued 414 B-ULS and 414 TLII. I prefer the B-ULS for all apps - even vocals. I think it's a better general mic and you can find them still in some stores for around $650. A great deal.

The ADK TL - costing $499 or less - is a great alternative to AKG 414's. I use TL's and 414's and recommend them both often. And as a long-time user of 414's - will often select a TL over a 414. All the mics in the ADK Audiophile Series are excellent and will give better sonic performance for the money than their more expensive equivalents. There are a lot of serious pro ADK users.

Nice to have options.

Last edited:
Dot said:
AKG makes some absolute cheap shit. AKG had a rep back in the day and were one of the major manufacturers of some stunning mics. Those days are gone. The only mics AKG makes anymore that are worth writing home about are the 414's, D112 and 451.

Well the C12 ain't half bad either :)

Noisedude- You're right- there have been some changes. C-3 and one of the C2000B's is gone- I've added Baby Bottle, Shure 55C, EV N/D 257, AT40. Playing it safe? Probably. Most of my gear was selected by checking gear lists of major pro studios. Even my cheap stuff is things I found on B room and C room lists. I have to admit I've also been influenced by the opinions of a number of people on this board.

Dot- have to agree with everything except I would add C2000B to the list. At it's price point, it's a workhorse. It rocks on cabs, toms, and Djembe in particular. I think you are one of the very few, along with myself, who prefers C414B-ULS to TLII on most sources. If I had to do all my recording with one mic I own, it would be the 414. C4000B is an OK mic, but at the price point, there are many other mics I'd choose first. Same for C12. It's a perfectly good mic, but way overpriced. Another area where I would disagree is Solidtube. I agree it was an overpriced $1000 tube mic, but at it's current street price of about $500, it's a pretty good mic, especially after you rip the stupid foam wind screen out of it. I also believe that some older discontinued AKG dynamics, in particular the D320 and D330 series, are some of the best bargains in used dynamics. C1000S and C3000B are both pretty good fishing sinkers. I am not impressed by C430. -Richie

Richard Monroe said:
I wouldn't. The newest version is C414 XLS. I've worked extensively with the 414 and KSM44 and I prefer the 414 on acoustic instruments, and the 44 on vocals. They are botr great, versatile workhorse mics, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either one.-Richie
I agree 100% with Richard... but I've never used the ADK.

I know AKG have made some junk too ... was just trying to provoke a little discussion, the point of which being that these newer companies are going to find it really hard to get their stuff into circulation if everyone's already happy :)

Me ... I wouldn't take a chance on an expensive mic from a cheap company that only one or two people seem to be using ... my money is more valuable than that!! Dan is in the very privileged position of being able to try all this stuff out, which is why I'm always keen to listen to his thoughts.

Richie - how are you finding that EV 257? I've seen some around and a friend of mine has a couple of the 767s ... but I don't know what they sound like. I thought the 257 was a pretty cheap one.

Remember the days when we had more to worry about then the prices charged for the gear we bought. Hands down, personal preference is the clear winner. Some people hold biased opinions ( such as myself) for the gear that we come to know and love. I got a couple of adk's and way to many 414's. I like the older 414 models and some of the newer ADK stuff ( TL included ). ANd for some strange reason, I still find the KSM 32's more pleasent to listen to than the 44's; could just be me.

Yo Noisedude- You're right, of course. All of the newly added mics came by way of a gift from a lady friend of mine for helping her with an appraisal, and some studio time. The N/D 257 is your basic EV SM57 equivalent, a $100 give-or-take dynamic. It sounded good enough in preliminary tests to keep around, for the sort of things you use a 57 for. It's not fully tested. The AT40 I kept for a talkback mic, because I needed a dynamic with a switch on it, and it's better than my Fender P-51, the only other mic I own with an on-off switch.
The Shure 55C is an antique classic, used for everything from "A date that will live in infamy" to "War of the Worlds", and will be going to the Mic Doctor to be refurbished.
I confess that I have no direct experience with the ADK mics, but everything I've heard about them is good. In time, they may develop the track record of performance and reliability that makes a mic a studio standard. Certainly by all reports, they are a significant cut above your basic Chinese budget mic, both in terms of price, and apparent build quality. You are right that my gear choices are conservative. All other things being equal, I prefer a piece of equipment that is a well established known quantity. If you have to sell it later, it's a lot easier. The introduction of newer C414 models has made the price point on the still available discontinued models very attractive.-Richie

Oh of course, they came from that 'Oh my God' thread? Well, not from the thread, but you know what I mean!!

What I wonder is who isn't a cut above the rest. Studio Projects are, ADK are, SE Electronics apparently are and Dot swears that Red5 are. There's not a whole load more manufacturers, are there?

One more question. You mostly record that quaint folk outfit of yours, right? :) Well, do you not find you end up using the same mics over and over, and some just sit there making up numbers? Once I've found a good combination for my acoustic, my amps, my voice and general piano use, I worry that I'll get set in my ways pretty quickly ... if I'm not already!!

Not a cut above the rest- Nady, Samson, Digital Reference (a dumbing down of Audio-Technica), Behringer.

Well, no. First, my "quaint folk" is more like neo-psychedelic, and involves Bass, classical guitar,full drum kit and assorted African and Celtic percussion, multiple styles of lead from jazz clean (ES175) to distorted heavy, acoustic steel string, harp, violin, recorder, multiple vocalists of both genders. We're now starting with piano. I've recently upgraded studio capabilities to do a 4 piece rockabilly band. I'm doing voiceovers, double bass, and a string quartet. Hell, I need more mics, not less.-Richie

I've been needing to call something of yours quaint ever since you told me that Americans could pervert our 'quaint little language' anyway you wanted. Not a grudge as such ... just a return of pleasantries :p

Fair point with those crap mic makers. Hell, you need more mics, not less! Let me know when the next lot fall off the bottom of the food chain ... and send me your paypal account ID when you do!

Actually, Americans are equal opportunity perverters. We pervert everybodies language. My original comment actually referred to what the English have done to the French language, or how the village of Azincort became the battle of Agincourt. We learned it from you guys.-Richie

Wow, that's either awesome memory or dedicated searching!

Thanks very much for your input Richie, I think you're probably my home recording idol because you're the beginner made good ... just kinda glad I have a 30 year head-start on you because my ears are going to need it!!

Back