Sign in to disable this ad
    Which is Better?

krs
    krs is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Which 414? For what?

Milkfaj is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    For a main Mic in a project studio. I doint know about different types of 414s, but which ever one costs around $700 is the one I want to compare the the Shure

shAkEz_gk is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    I would choose the ADK TL over an AKG C414

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    I wouldn't. The newest version is C414 XLS. I've worked extensively with the 414 and KSM44 and I prefer the 414 on acoustic instruments, and the 44 on vocals. They are botr great, versatile workhorse mics, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either one.-Richie

noisedude is offline Banned
    Thanks
    Shakez' post raises an interesting question ... with all the hype and quotes from pros using them, should we take a punt on the more expensive SE and ADK mics? Or are we scared of buying from a company that makes the cheapest of the cheap too?

Richie - You've obviously played somewhat 'safe' with your mic locker choices ... would you do the same if you had your time over? Also, I want an up to date photo of your mic collection ... I think the one on your site is out of date?

sdelsolray is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkfaj
    Which is Better?
    There are two different "current" 414s. There's two more 414s that were just discontinued, but have been around for over 10 years. There's even earlier 414s.

It's would be hard to tell which is "better" as that would (usually) depend on what you were recording, how it was going to be used, and a dozen other variables.

They're not the same. Having one (or two) of each would certain be better.

Dot
    Dot is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noisedude
    Shakez' post raises an interesting question ... with all the hype and quotes from pros using them, should we take a punt on the more expensive SE and ADK mics? Or are we scared of buying from a company that makes the cheapest of the cheap too?
    AKG makes some absolute cheap shit. AKG had a rep back in the day and were one of the major manufacturers of some stunning mics. Those days are gone. The only mics AKG makes anymore that are worth writing home about are the 414's, D112 and 451.

I would pick the ADK TL or one of the AKG 414's over the KSM44. A very good deal now is on the discountinued 414 B-ULS and 414 TLII. I prefer the B-ULS for all apps - even vocals. I think it's a better general mic and you can find them still in some stores for around $650. A great deal.

The ADK TL - costing $499 or less - is a great alternative to AKG 414's. I use TL's and 414's and recommend them both often. And as a long-time user of 414's - will often select a TL over a 414. All the mics in the ADK Audiophile Series are excellent and will give better sonic performance for the money than their more expensive equivalents. There are a lot of serious pro ADK users.

Nice to have options.
    Last edited by Dot; 01-17-2005 at 08:54.
    Dan Richards
    Pro Studio Reviews

krs
    krs is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot
    AKG makes some absolute cheap shit. AKG had a rep back in the day and were one of the major manufacturers of some stunning mics. Those days are gone. The only mics AKG makes anymore that are worth writing home about are the 414's, D112 and 451.
    Well the C12 ain't half bad either

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    Noisedude- You're right- there have been some changes. C-3 and one of the C2000B's is gone- I've added Baby Bottle, Shure 55C, EV N/D 257, AT40. Playing it safe? Probably. Most of my gear was selected by checking gear lists of major pro studios. Even my cheap stuff is things I found on B room and C room lists. I have to admit I've also been influenced by the opinions of a number of people on this board.

Dot- have to agree with everything except I would add C2000B to the list. At it's price point, it's a workhorse. It rocks on cabs, toms, and Djembe in particular. I think you are one of the very few, along with myself, who prefers C414B-ULS to TLII on most sources. If I had to do all my recording with one mic I own, it would be the 414. C4000B is an OK mic, but at the price point, there are many other mics I'd choose first. Same for C12. It's a perfectly good mic, but way overpriced. Another area where I would disagree is Solidtube. I agree it was an overpriced $1000 tube mic, but at it's current street price of about $500, it's a pretty good mic, especially after you rip the stupid foam wind screen out of it. I also believe that some older discontinued AKG dynamics, in particular the D320 and D330 series, are some of the best bargains in used dynamics. C1000S and C3000B are both pretty good fishing sinkers. I am not impressed by C430. -Richie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information