Akg C414 Or Neumann Tlm-103

Premier

The AKG is a more versatile mic, and the neumann sounds great (not that the akg doesnt as well!). What would you lot recommend? Also, I have not used the audio technica 4060, any thoughts on it?

If you provide some more context (mainly, what you plan to use the mic for), you may get some good responses from others on the board.

I won't be able to provide a good response even then, because I only have the 414, and have never used the 103. I do know that the 414 is multi-pattern, and the 103 is fixed-cardioid, so that may be a consideration. I can tell you that I like the 414 and use it a lot, but that may not mean much to you (since I haven't provided any context either :D).

You can find a bunch of info on both of those mics, as well as the 4060 and many other choices, in the various threads in this forum, I know.

edit: Pohaku's right, there are many C414 models -- mine's the B-ULS, and I likewise use it more for not-vocals than for vocals.

Last edited:
The TLM-103 is the bastard step-child of the Neumann family.

The AKG414 is and has been a staple in studios around the world for decades.

Does that make the choice any easier?

The TLM-103 is the bastard step-child of the Neumann family.

The AKG414 is and has been a staple in studios around the world for decades.

Does that make the choice any easier?

Agreed.

But the issue with the C414 is which one? I think we'd all like one of the early "brass capsule" models, but since that's not a likely event, you need to sort through the plethora of models to figure out which C414 works best for your intended use. I kinda like the B-ULS model, but I've used it more for instruments than vocals. I'm sure others have their own preferences.

Sorry, I popped up this topic quickly before I left the house this morning, I should have added some more Details.

I am hoping to buy a stereo pair of the mics to use as my work horses. Vocals, guitars, drum overheads. I have one 57, an AKG d112, an assortment of audix d series drum mics, and I am finally looking to pull the trigger on a good set of LDC's for working with.

Alot of what I have read about the mic's seems that people like the akg's over the neumann's. Also, I wonder if with the neumann's you are paying alot for that little red badge and not so much for neumann sound quality. I have had the neumann's recommended to me by a person who has used both the akg's and the neumann's extensively, but he likes the akg's also. Everything I have read online seems to be that people are not huge fans of the neumann's, or that they just require a bit more love and work to get them to shine than the akg's.

Thanks for the responses and listening to my rambling, cheers.

If "workhorse pair" is your application, then I think the multi-pattern-ness of the C414 would be a big selling point. I occasionally shop around for another B-ULS so I can have a pair (however imperfectly matched) for the same general reason.

(edit: ack! that sounds like advice! -- I refer to you the disclaimer in my earlier post)

I've had both the TLM103 and newest version of the AKG. Sold them both and kept a KSM44. Have you considered a pair of them? Or AT4050's?

How much are you looking to spend and are you willing to buy used? That info would give us a better sense of what options (besides the AKG and the Neumann) are available to you. I have a pair of AT-4050s that get used as my workhorse LD mics. I also have a pair of Beyer MC834s that I use (although they are cardioid only). I've used the AKG C414B-ULS for instruments and it's a very good mic for that purpose. Not my favorite for vocals (although I don't use the 4050s much for vocals either). The previously mentioned Shure KSM-44, the AT-4050 and 4060 are all decent candidates for general pupose LDs. If you have more money to spend, you can also look at Gefell and Blue (maybe used MT70 or Kiwi).

That said, if you are only choosing between a C414 and the Neumann, I'd take the C414 and then see which model works best for you.

How much are you looking to spend and are you willing to buy used? That info would give us a better sense of what options (besides the AKG and the Neumann) are available to you. I have a pair of AT-4050s that get used as my workhorse LD mics. I also have a pair of Beyer MC834s that I use (although they are cardioid only). I've used the AKG C414B-ULS for instruments and it's a very good mic for that purpose. Not my favorite for vocals (although I don't use the 4050s much for vocals either). The previously mentioned Shure KSM-44, the AT-4050 and 4060 are all decent candidates for general pupose LDs. If you have more money to spend, you can also look at Gefell and Blue (maybe used MT70 or Kiwi).

That said, if you are only choosing between a C414 and the Neumann, I'd take the C414 and then see which model works best for you.

Im not wanting to buy used. $2500 is the absolute maximum. The shure's do sound interesting, I have never had a chance to use them though.

Buying new and at that price point, I'd go try the Shure KSM44 and the AT-4050, as well as the AKG. If you like the Shure or the AT well enough, get a pair of those and then get an SM7b for vocals. You'll have money left over.

AT4060 is a tube mic, and although it is an excellent main vocal mic for some vocalists, I would not choose it as a workhorse stereo pair. AT4050 fills that bill better, as does Shure KSM44. The Neumanns are perfectly good mics, but I prefer the versatility of multi-pattern. I'd go with the C414, personally. And I don't really care which model, as long as they are well matched.. I would probably select a matched pair of C414B-XLS.-Richie

Back