AKG C1000s or Shure BG4.1

astrom13

Here I go again. Micing upright piano in living room, into tape deck with mic inputs. The AKG has a stated frequency range of 50-20,000 and the Shure's is 40-18000. Piano fundamentals are about 28-4300 Hz with overtones to 8000 Hz max. Assuming both mics frequency responses are accurate and measured in the same way, doesn't it appear just from specs alone that the Shure is the way to go because it goes lower than the AKG where the piano has fundamentals and the Shure extends in the upper range more than enough to cover the piano overtones i.e. harmonics, even though not as high as the AKG (i.e. isn't the extra extended range of the AKG irrelevant if micing a piano). Is my thinking straight on this or what? Maybe a sound engineer or Dragon could respond and put me out of my misery.

The next question is, which mic will probably or does sound better for micing piano. I haven't heard either mic. By the way I don't want to deal with phantom power so Rode NT1 and AT 4033 are out. I've heard the AKG might sound thin and a fairly bright on top. Thoughts?

Thanks to all who have already responded to my prior posts. It has really helped narrow my quest.

Back