Akg c1000 mod

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
I just read the small write up in the new tape op about the mod that can be done to the C1000. Has anyone had this done or have heard the results?

In Tape Op magazine page 60 Mike Jasper reviews the mods preformed by Mark Fouxman (Marik) cost $150. and gives it high honnors.

I've got three mics modded by Marik, but not the C1000 - generally speaking, he's doing things that aren't really repeatable by bozos like me - including re-machining parts, radically reworking circuits on an individual mic basis and stuff like that.

If I had a C1000 and the cash, I'd seriously consider sending it to him - I use my modded mics all the time

Last edited:
cool stuff I think I'll send mine in for modding. For they have just been sitting at the bottom of my collection for a long time.

Hello Moresound,

I started offering this mod not very long ago, so it usually takes some time until people start posting results/impressions/sound tracks. But since I got quite a few inquires and mics done let's hope it will happen soon.

Quite a few times I was asked if this mod can be DIYed. While usually I am very open with posting mods, the C1000S is different, as it involves rather complicated machining of a new stand-off/holder for the capsule (and you cannot do it without a lathe). Also, since the PCB is full of SMD, the board needs re-drilling. There were a few versions of the board and the location of the crucial capacitor to replace is different. Also, since the traces are very thin there is a danger of damaging them, so unfortunately, I think this mod is not suitable for DIY.

Best, Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio & Microphone Design

Hello Moresound,

I started offering this mod not very long ago, so it usually takes some time until people start posting results/impressions/sound tracks. But since I got quite a few inquires and mics done let's hope it will happen soon.

Quite a few times I was asked if this mod can be DIYed. While usually I am very open with posting mods, the C1000S is different, as it involves rather complicated machining of a new stand-off/holder for the capsule (and you cannot do it without a lathe). Also, since the PCB is full of SMD, the board needs re-drilling. There were a few versions of the board and the location of the crucial capacitor to replace is different. Also, since the traces are very thin there is a danger of damaging them, so unfortunately, I think this mod is not suitable for DIY.

Best, Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio & Microphone Design

Thank you Mark for the reply :) As I stated in this thread earlier I will dig out my C1000s for the mod and I'll be in touch soon.
Including other mics I have that I hope you can help me with do you have a listing of mics that you do or is any mic a good candidate for modding?and again thanks.

Mod mod mod!!!

Hello you all!

I'll tell you about the drilling bit. I did similar mod to my C1000s after reading about this. The two things I changed in the mic were the C2 ceramic cap (68n) to a WIMA 470n and I changed the distance of the capsule. The drilling was not a big deal. 1mm holes about center of the pads was all it took. The cap pads are a little bigger than what the rest of the surface mounted parts have. Wima went on the other side of the board, next to the switch. I took away the old hot clue that was holding the elcos in place and put some silicone on all the caps next to the switch, including the WIMA. Capsule needed more work. I cut away the bottom part of the rubber mounting tube and used some poly to give the capsule more distance from the rest of the body. Some glue etc was needed and also the capsule wires had to be extended. Thats about it. I have to say that even though the official mod has some other walues changed and more drilling done the WIMA lets more bass thru and also responds differently to high frequencies. Try it out.

You're welcome. I created an photo album of this mod. You can find in profile... I guess? I'm still new to this so can't put a link here.

Last edited:
I tested my moded C1000 next to Elation KM201 and the lower frequency feel is about the same. C1000 still has more going on around 10-12K, but the tone is so different compared to what it was before. I feel silly not to have made any recordings before and after, but if I get my hands on another C1000 I could do an A/B test.

Doesn't it make you guys nervous to be modding a nice reputable mic like a c1000? Do you really think you know better than the folks at AKG who designed the darn thing? If I was in the market for a used c1000 and some guy told me he DIY'd a mod and drilled a few more holes in it I'd move right along.

I remember many years ago I was talking to an engineer who helped design the Northstar engine for Cadillac. People kept posting that they found this exhaust system or that computer chip that made it better. His response was basically: No, if those things really made the engine perform better we would have done them.

Back