AKG C 414B XLII vs Neumann TLM 103

danny83

Hello recording gurus! I'm looking for some advice on a great vocal mic in the $1000 price range.

I'm torn between the AKG C 414B XLII and the Neuman TLM 103. I would like to purchase one of these ASAP! My budget is a firm $1000 and I'm not too interested in getting a 5-600 dollar mic to save some bones. My main concern is best sound quality. My primary use for it will be for my own vocals (think Jack Johnson/James Taylor/John Mayer/Jason Mraz). I've seen lots of helpful advice given here for vocal mics and there seem to be some really knowledgeable people on here with lots of experience that I hope can help.

I don't have the nicest preamp in the world, but it gets the job done for now. It's just an APOGEE DUET and there is no real possibility to upgrade that soon (unfortunately). Eventually though, I'll go big on a pre.

So with all that in mind, could anybody give me some advice on a mic?

If it helps to hear my voice exactly you can listen here:

http://www.myspace.com/dannysingmeasong

Thanks in advance guys! :)

See if you can try out a Mojave MA-200. One of my new favorites, designed by Mr. Royer.
They go for around 950.
Super warm, clean, tube mic, smooth bottom, not a super bright hi end like a 414 but still a good bit of air.

D,
I know opinions are like orifices, everyone has at least 5 or 6.
But of those 2 mics you mention, for your voice, I personally would reach for the TLM 103 first to try.
I listened to your voice, and it is nice. It has some softer and gentler aspects that I think the 103 would add to. It is one of the times a brighter mic would help.
I see the 103 as a brighter mic with some mids, where as my opinion of the AKG is that it is more neutral.
I've been wrong many times.
But If I were staring at the 2 mics I'd reach first for the 103.
It would sure be good if you could rent or borrow one first before plopping down that much cheeze.

D,
I know opinions are like orifices, everyone has at least 5 or 6.
But of those 2 mics you mention, for your voice, I personally would reach for the TLM 103 first to try.
I listened to your voice, and it is nice. It has some softer and gentler aspects that I think the 103 would add to. It is one of the times a brighter mic would help.
I see the 103 as a brighter mic with some mids, where as my opinion of the AKG is that it is more neutral.
I've been wrong many times.
But If I were staring at the 2 mics I'd reach first for the 103.
It would sure be good if you could rent or borrow one first before plopping down that much cheeze.

hey tmix,

thank you for your recommendation!

anybody else?

thanks in advance!

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record...

Before you go all out, I have to say that you should consider a high-quality dynamic like the EV RE-20. I've tried many more expensive condensers on my voice, and I'm just in love with how great this mic sounds on everything I point it at.

Horses for courses, but I'm very pleased that my go-to mic for my voice is a $400 dynamic and not a $3,000 condenser.

I'm not fond at all of the TLM-103.

Both of those mics are geared more towards intruments. I don't have the tm103 but I have some 414s and they are a really a "flat" or "true mic. I think that you would be better off going with plan B for your voice. I would find a place that you can try these and other mics out before making a 1000 dollar purchase. Maybe guitar center as I think they have both of the mics that you are looking for. I would keep my eyes open for a mic that has more "warmth" to it. I second the Mojave mic. If you in my studio, that would be the first mic I would grab the Mojave mic first at of my mic selection. Hope this helps!

The MA-200 blows me away. It's very natural sounding., slight bit of color, super natural lows.
I've ran it through an MPA Gold with a VLA comp, also through some presonus, focusrite, and aphex 107, sounds good,
I think the gold with the hot plate setting is the best so far for me.

it sounds ok on guitars electric and acoustic, the hi's tend to sound a little rounded though. it's a very smooth mic.

Have you tried the FET version?

Both of those mics are geared more towards intruments. I don't have the tm103 but I have some 414s and they are a really a "flat" or "true mic. I think that you would be better off going with plan B for your voice. I would find a place that you can try these and other mics out before making a 1000 dollar purchase. Maybe guitar center as I think they have both of the mics that you are looking for. I would keep my eyes open for a mic that has more "warmth" to it. I second the Mojave mic. If you in my studio, that would be the first mic I would grab the Mojave mic first at of my mic selection. Hope this helps!

I have a TL II version of the 414 and have worked with several other variants. They are all anything but "flat." Unless their QC has changed, they are also anything but consistent sounding from example to example.

The TLM 103 isn't all that flat either but the QC is very tight on this and the entire Neumann product line.

I've used proably every mic out there and for a john mayer vocal I do have a 1000 dollar recomendation for you. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/195d1/ now I haven't worked with john mayer, but I have worked with one of his earlier producers and I've also worked with a co producer and co writer/producer he worked with. A fet 47 would be nice I used the soundelux u99 on clay cook and it's a very similar mic and it worked out great

Back