AKG C 3000 B or Shure KSM27 SL?

PMichael

Looks like AKG is aiming at same use as Shure KSM27 SL. How would you compare?

Also - I'm going to get either a Rode NT3 or an AKG C1000s for home recording with digi mbox.

I play acoustic guitar (nylon) and sing. Looking for two decent mics, and was thinking the Shure and either NT or C1000s. But now wondering about the AKG C3000B instead of the Shure.

Thanks
PMichael

The AKG 3000B LD and C1000 SD are two of the least respected mics you could buy. Both have reputations for sounding harsh and unpleasant. I know the C1000 is nasty--especially with inexpensive preamps (like Mackie). I wouldn't pay even $50 for one.

On the other hand, the AT 4040 LD has a great reputation. The Marshall MXL 603s and the Oktava MC012 are two SDs that I like. Haven't heard the KSM27 or NT5, but I would choose them over the AKG mics anyday.

I have the KSM27, and it is very average on nylon string. It does work for many voices. If you need one mic for both, I'd keep looking. The KSM32 or Blue Baby Bottle would be better choices, but more expensive. I haven't used the AT4040, but from what I've experienced with AT, it would be worth a listen.

The C-3000 and the C-1000 aren't as bad as all that but it is true that for your stated purpose, they're not what I'd reach for. For nylon string guitar maybe a Neumann KM-184. I like AT-4033's too. For the vocals mic, it's hard to say. It really depends on your voice.

I was considering the Shure KSM27 for vocal. It seems to do well for relatively similar voices.

The Rode NT3 or AKG C1000s would be for the guitar.

This is my first foray into home recording. I've got the mbox and need two mics.

So - I don't want to over-invest immediately, nor do I want to have to turn around an purchase new mics in 6 months because I'm not happy. Need to keep the cost down yet get something I'll still be happy with in 2 years.

popkid said:
I´ve had an AKG C-3000. It is the worst mic ever. Tinny, nasty, unpleasent sound.
:rolleyes: Worst ever eh? Certainly not the best but a FAR cry from the worst.

You don't mention what your price range is but I'm guessing it's around 4 to 5 hundred dollars. I would bypass the C3000 and the C1000. I had both for some time and they did make decent paper weights but were of no use for vox or guitars. For vox I'd lean to the KSM27 and I'd also recommend you check out an SE H3500 which can be bought on ebay for $225. I got one a few weeks ago and was floored by how good a vox mike it is.

On the guitar mic maybe try to get a pair of Crown CM700's used which should run around $200 to $250 used again on ebay. Another sleeper mic on nylon strings is the AT4033 which is in the same price range as the CM700's.

Whatever your final choice is go by what your ears tell you and not what someone else tells you. Good luck.

Back