AKG C-1000s or MXL2001?

dgroove

I'm new here so let me say "Hey". I've been playing drums for years but don't know a lot about recording. We have a couple 57s and a few 58s.
We've got the close micing down prettygood (for the drums) but we're missing the warmth, space, vibe etc.. of a room/overhead mic. After some reading I was sold on AKG. When I went in to by it I was talked into buying the MXL 2001because it's a good mic (per salesman) and there is promo going on MXL 603 was thrown in. I paid just under $200. So far I'm not impressed. We are recording the drums onto a 4 trackthen mixing down to 2 channels onto a Br8.
What I'm getting at is:

1. Did I get burned?
2. Should I get the AKG C1000?

I would like an all around mic but my main concern is the drums.
I don't really want to spend more than $250-$300.

sell the MXL2001 to anyone crazy enough to buy it and get another MXL603 to go with the other.....603's as overheads would be better than the C1000's.....

sell the MXL2001 to anyone crazy enough to buy it

Anyone read the article in TapeOp about converting an MXL2001 into a tube mic? It was written by David Royer, he knows a few things about mics. ;)

Queue

Yep, caught that article.....a few threads mentioned it also....still, for drums, I believe the MXL603's will do more justice....If he has the $$$, he can keep the 2001 to do the mod and buy another 603.......

Back