is it advisable to use a Shure 7B for amp miking?

Lord Target

quite simple question...

Actually I´m aware of its voice recording reputation (thriller album, broadcasting etc etc)

Would I damage it using for amp miking?

Case not, then I would have a great mic for 2 great pourposes

thanx

If I had one I would use it. The amp won't damage it, I use all kinds of mics in front of amps, SM57 421's, large Condensers, small condensers and ribbons, and the only mics you have to watch out for are the ribbons because of the air blast from the speakers.

Alan.

If I had one I would use it. The amp won't damage it, I use all kinds of mics in front of amps, SM57 421's, large Condensers, small condensers and ribbons, and the only mics you have to watch out for are the ribbons because of the air blast from the speakers.

Alan.

Thanx, man. I was looking to some ribbons as well, but I aint got the $ to buy both. Actually I will struggle to get this 7B

But i was really checking reviews and u tube videos for this one:

Superlux R102 - Thomann UK

I have 2 Lollipop ribbon mics that I got from a guy here in Oz called "open plan recording", they were early editions and I did the stage 1 mods myself. I use them for guitar cabs often and they were pretty cheap, under AU$150 at the time.

I also bought an MXL R40 going cheap on ebay new for AU$100 as it was so cheap how could I go wrong, I have used this on guitar cabs too and it works fine, it was going cheap as it has been replaced by the R144. Review here, which I think will almost sound the same.

I do find that unless you are really after a ribbon sound, you need a ribbon and another mic to blend the 2. The 7B would work well with a ribbon as a SM57 works with it well also.

Alan.

Alan.

I´ve got a SM 57; Shure BG 5.1, MXL 990; and abou to get a Superlux PRA628 MKII (really cheap good mic) and the 7B.

I hoppe I can manage to pull some cool guitar tones off with these mics.

By the way, congrats for your studio.

I´ve got a SM 57; Shure BG 5.1, MXL 990; and abou to get a Superlux PRA628 MKII (really cheap good mic) and the 7B.

I hoppe I can manage to pull some cool guitar tones off with these mics.

By the way, congrats for your studio.

I am sure you will, thanks for the congrats.

Alan.

You could use the 7b to chalk the wheel on your car to change a flat ..... That's how versatile the 7b is!

A great microphone with many uses. :thumbs up:

Back