Advice on what microphone and audio interface to get

benakaginge

So at the moment, I use a Samson G Track but I'm looking to upgrade to a better microphone. I've had a read and think the best conclusion is to get a condenser microphone with a USB Audio interface. I will be using the two for podcasting, doing youtube work and hopefully in the near future recording my own music. I'd also like to have a multi polar pattern as I record the podcast with a friend in the same room.
I've narrowed the microphones down to:

-Avantone CK-7
-Audio-Technika 2050
-ART M-Three
-Sontronics STC-3X Pack
-sE2200a MK2
-SE Electronics Z3300A

And then for the audio interfaces, I've narrowed it down to:

-Steinberg UR22 USB Audio Interface
-Alesis iO2 Express 24Bit USB Audio & MIDI Recording Interface
-Terrasoniq Phase X64 USB Audio Interface
-Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio

But if anyone has any other ideas for a mic or audio interface, I'd love to hear them if they are around the price range of the others I've listed. Also is it not recommended to buy audio products used or is it ok as long as you take precautions? And just as a note, I live in the UK.

I would add a dynamic mic to that list.
The Shure SM57/58's of course but the SM7b has a very big following especially for close talking work. Then there are other dynamics you know! Prodipe products get a good rep and are 1/3rd the price of a 57. AKG D7 (I think that is number) is about Shure money but 6dB more sensitive.

For an AI do check out the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Two very clean mic amps. two more line ins (4 analogue ins in total) S/PDIF and MIDI.
It is a very solid, "does not cluck you about " interface and will beat the pants off any you have listed for latency.

Dave.

Are you saying I should add a dynamic microphone on top of a condenser mic & AI or add it to the list of mics to consider? I think it may be the latter in which case, I'd love to add one in but unfortunately I don't have enough money. And I will definitely check out the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, it's a little bit over what I was hoping to pay for but I'll see if I can stretch it.

Are you saying I should add a dynamic microphone on top of a condenser mic & AI or add it to the list of mics to consider? I think it may be the latter in which case, I'd love to add one in but unfortunately I don't have enough money. And I will definitely check out the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, it's a little bit over what I was hoping to pay for but I'll see if I can stretch it.

Ah! Did not realize it was ONE only off the list! Still you might be able to pick up a Shure dymo second hand, they are very rugged and hard to break.

The big, side address capacitors LOOK sexy but can be a bit of a liabilty in a small room and for close talking. I have a Sontronics STC-2 and it is great but the SM57 gets used much more for close work (I have a crap room as well!).

Yes do stretch to the KA6 if you can. If low latency is or is going to be important to you (and if you are contemplating any kind of MIDI work it will be) you will not get better save a PCI card (tho the Ka6 goes as low as my 2496's!) or an RME UCX!

Dave.

Cheers Dave although I was a little lost with the wording and such but I'm understanding that the Komplete Audio 6 is a pretty good AI. But do you have an opinion on a multi polar pattern microphone I should get or are you just saying to use a dynamic microphone?

Hey,
If you're working with a group omni can be useful and for two people a figure 8 can work well, but in a bad room I'd avoid it and have a mic per person.

That's also of great benefit if you want to do some post editing.
Say one guy's a low talker and the other is loud, it's so much easier to handle with two mics and two faders.
Same goes for tone of voice.

Even in radio stations with ideal equipment and environments they still use a mic per person so there's a nice handy mute button and fader per voice.

True true. Although I'd love to get 2 mics, I think just one will have to do at the moment as I will be using it more for my own use rather than with the friend for podcasting. Although I like to have the option of having different polar patterns. But hopefully in the future I'll be able to get another mic or possibly borrow one.

Cheers Dave although I was a little lost with the wording and such but I'm understanding that the Komplete Audio 6 is a pretty good AI. But do you have an opinion on a multi polar pattern microphone I should get or are you just saying to use a dynamic microphone?

Well I'm NO expert! But I do not think you need a multipattern big asse'd cap mic for podcasting! THE favoured broadcast mic is the SM7B but several other dynamics vie with it...Then..

You said you also record with a friend? To me that would mean two people each panned about 25% left and right of centre? Two mics, dymos or small D capacitors would be my choice. AKG Perception 170. 20dB pad, ideal for gobtight work and "road hardened" so does not need too much carefull handling. Often on offer, I picked up two, new, (not matched pair) for 80quid a few years ago.

Small D caps are also the bee's knees for many instruments, acoustic guitar being one (tho my son prefers the SM57!)

If you can, listen to some BBC radio 3 and 4 talk broadcasts.

Dave.

Cheers to everyone who commented. It seems I had my heart set on getting a condenser microphone when I should have been listening to what other people had to say. I've seen that a dynamic recording picks up less background noise than a condenser so I imagine it's better for me to pick something like that. I have had a look at getting the Shure SM7b although it seems a bit past my price range unless someone knows someone selling it second hand? But if not, can any recommend another similar to it?

Back