Advice needed on " Step Up " Mic..........not just the usual NT1A Se220a debate

jpb123

Advice needed on " Step Up " Mic..........not just the usual NT1A Se220a debate

Hi Everyone ,

I've already asked a question this week and had a on of great replies so I thought I'd try another one !!

I'm looking for a mic that's a step up in terms of " Smoothness " and ease of use. By ease of use I mean a mic for vocals 99% of the time that I don't have to wrestle with to tame.

I've been around the block with all the usual suspects ( Rode NT1A , SE Elec 2200A , MXL.........etc etc )

And find all these mics have a recurring theme of suffering from over brightness or in some cases a severe case of thin sounding brittleness , although to be fair I have got some good takes too ,in general I'm just fed up with wrestling with REN Eq to solve problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to mics that would be a step up from the aforementioned bunch ??

I only ask because I don't live near any dealers of studio stuff so I would have to make a day of it and would hate to waste my time going to dealers who haven't got stock etc etc

This way if I get 4 or 5 recommendations I could pick where to go !!

Budget wise I'm looking around the mid price area , I'm going to try a used SE Z5600a for £300 tomorrow , that is around about the price I'm looking at.

Any Help would be much appreciated

John

Sennheiser MK4 is a nice upgrade from the entry-level mins. They go new for 300 USD! They don't have that cheap bright feel and are really smooth and I think a great buy, even if gotten new.

The Avantone CV12 and Rode NTK are both well worth a look in the "step up and less bright" category, although both come in at £399 new (although the NTK can probably be found easily enough used)

Hell yeah man, i flippin' love the Z3300a. i was gonna suggest it but it's not a huge step up from the sE2200a. Well, it is a step up (slightly smoother sounding, multiple polar patterns) and for £199 (or £188 from thomann but without the flight case) it's well, well worth every penny but we have Z3300a and Rode NTK at work and the NTK gets used a lot more. Saying that, before getting the NTK the Z3300a was our go to mic for vocals and acoustic guitar

Thanks Guys,

The mods seem damned good Moresound. And I've arranged with a dealer in Manchester to have a look at the Z3300a , SE4400A and he has recommended I look at the CAD Trion 8000 and 6000 but I've never heard of these and suspect he's just trying to make a sale with those 2 !!

That's why I ask for advice from you guy's........you're not on commission !! Ha Ha

Thanks Guys,

The mods seem damned good Moresound. And I've arranged with a dealer in Manchester to have a look at the Z3300a , SE4400A and he has recommended I look at the CAD Trion 8000 and 6000 but I've never heard of these and suspect he's just trying to make a sale with those 2 !!

That's why I ask for advice from you guy's........you're not on commission !! Ha Ha

No problem ... that will be $50. please.

So far on my list is;

SE Z3300a , Sennheiser MK4 , SE 4400A , and the 2 trion's , I can't find a uk dealer of ADK mic's so that will have to be looked into , and the Trion 6000 / 8000 has anyone got any experience of these ???

I'm going to demo them on Wed

John

Back