Advice on getting a mic.

Before you rush out and buy a portable recorder, can we have a bit more information. In your very first post you say you want the mic for "vocals and Youtube commentaries". Youtube commentaries is fairly self explanatory and implies that you want your recordings to end up online. What sort of vocals and what are you doing with them?

Hey Bobbsy,

I would be happy to add more information.

What I plan on doing with the mic/recorder is use it for Youtube commentaries, Yes I did add "vocals" But nothing will be done with the vocals.

I do not own a home studio or a studio at all, And I do not plan on building one either like I said before the product will only/mainly be used for Youtube commentaries maybe some vocal work maybe some guitar play but nothing big to were it will be online.

How I mainly do any recording is I simply place the mic (in front of me) and record as I do my thing i.e. commentaries, I do not want a mic to were I would need to slam it into my face because then I would not see what I am doing. The mic/recorder will not be far away from me but will not be "kissing me" I would say from my Desk to my mouth the mic will be about 2-3 feet away, But please do take this into mind, because I will be recording from my desk (in my room) I do have a window (wind) and when pressing buttons you can get a taping noise. (But then again must audio editors can remove that)

It will be clear talking no back tracks or nothing of that sort.

I do not mind :) You can ask me anything.

But I would like to add more here,

The reason I choose the H4n over just a XLR mic was mainly because I do not own a audio interface, So if I did happen to get a XLR mic then I would need to also buy a audio interface.

Thanks!

Short version:

Mic/recorder will only be used for Youtube commentaries. I may record guitar play and if I do it wont get online (Am still learning lol)

I do not own a audio interface so I would need to buy one (unless its USB) or H4n etc..

The product will be about 2-3feet away from me, And I would want it to still pick my voice with great sound quality.

Its sound quality sound quality sound quality, I do not care about the build, I do not care about the brand. As long as it can record great sound quality no static etc.. Then I am happy, This is why I fear USB mics may lack here?

At two or three feet away from you in a standard, untreated room even a $2000 mic would give you echoey, hollow crap. Don't waste your money.

However if it's just sight lines that bother you, there are things to do with mic positioning--if you look at most radio and TV voice recording situations you'll see the mic mounted sort of upside down above the speaker, angled downwards to point straight at the mouth. Worked this way, you can still see ahead and downwards but the mic is only 8 or 9 inches from the mouth (and it's not directly in front so popping breath isn't an issue either).

Once you've recorded your Youtube commentary on your H4n, what will you do with it? If the answer is "post it to Youtube" this means transferring your sound into a computer anyway so, frankly, in my mind the H4n is a totally unnecessary and somewhat expensive step. Go for a Blue Yeti Pro or similar and record straight into the computer. As I say, the H4n is great for location work but, I suspect, not the tool you need.

At two or three feet away from you in a standard, untreated room even a $2000 mic would give you echoey, hollow crap. Don't waste your money.

However if it's just sight lines that bother you, there are things to do with mic positioning--if you look at most radio and TV voice recording situations you'll see the mic mounted sort of upside down above the speaker, angled downwards to point straight at the mouth. Worked this way, you can still see ahead and downwards but the mic is only 8 or 9 inches from the mouth (and it's not directly in front so popping breath isn't an issue either).

Once you've recorded your Youtube commentary on your H4n, what will you do with it? If the answer is "post it to Youtube" this means transferring your sound into a computer anyway so, frankly, in my mind the H4n is a totally unnecessary and somewhat expensive step. Go for a Blue Yeti Pro or similar and record straight into the computer. As I say, the H4n is great for location work but, I suspect, not the tool you need.

I would say two/three feet but I may be wrong there the mic will be close but not right in the face close.

Yes I know of other mic positioning, I used to work in Radio (setting up/fixing equipment)

Well yes but of course not before editing.

The only worry I have about other mics is just I don't know the sound quality, And I would be pretty annoyed if I did buy the Blue Yeti pro and it sounded the same as the Mic (headset) I am using now.

The only mic/recorders I know of which have great sound quality (to me)
is H4n and Technica AT2050.

I do not mind paying over $300 for a H4n because I know of how great the sound quality is. After all money cant make you happy?

Any condenser mic in the price range you're talking about would sound good, often better than the H4n. However, none of them--including the H4n--will sound good in an untreated room at 2 or 3 feed from the sound source. I don't know what headset you have but, unless you get the replacement mic "up close and personal" there's a darn good chance that even a cheap headset will sound better.

Up to you but I think you're setting yourself up for a fall.

Any condenser mic in the price range you're talking about would sound good, often better than the H4n. However, none of them--including the H4n--will sound good in an untreated room at 2 or 3 feed from the sound source. I don't know what headset you have but, unless you get the replacement mic "up close and personal" there's a darn good chance that even a cheap headset will sound better.

Up to you but I think you're setting yourself up for a fall.

I understand. And I don't plan on getting my room treated not much point to me.
Of course if I had the H4n I would place it on a mini tripod making it closer to me but of course not face to mic.
The headset am using now is a "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000" Of course it sounds "good" But it is a "headset" So the mic is shoved right into my face, But using a headset is making it a bit tricky when doing live stuff, That is why am on the hunt for mic.

I understand what you are saying Bobbsy, But on one hand the H4n I know how good it is, In both sound quality and portable. On the other hand I could get a Blue yeti for cheaper! But I have no idea of the sound quality so its a shoot in the dark. I have gone on YouTube but there is many many mix'd reviews and sound tests. (It seems some record with the mic facing the wrong way)

untitled.pngGH.pnghya mate, i know you wont believe me when i say check out the 'Behringer C-1 STUDIO CONDENSER MIC' i bought mine off amazon for just over £40.00 a year ago and like some of their pedals it was a brilliant choice...i am a guitarist so i never give a shit what our singer used but now i do my own stuff at home and it really is an excellent mic..i might sound naive but im not, i know if you set another top of the range mic up you will hear the difference but the sound detection is awesome, which is great also for recording percussion,acoustic guitar is awesome too, seriously, its not a lot to pay for what you get..it was brand new,but you can even get a used one..i just need the suspension mount but i ha\

Back