Advice for buying a second condenser mic...

deathpodal

Hi there,

I've been researching this for a little while now. I'm a DIY musician and I record my own stuff. I invested in some mics some years ago - sm57s, 58s, AKG D-112 as well as a main condenser mic AKG C4000. I've been pretty happy with this set up as I've been recording one instrument at a time in the past, however now I'm doing a new three piece project and would like to expand on the mics I have so we can record live to get that 'energy'.

One of the other guys in the band is bringing a couple of mics to the party, but basically I'm looking for another condenser with the following specifications:

* That it's brighter than the AKG C4000 (my reasoning for this is that I found the c4000 wasn't the best for being an overhead for drums i.e. cymbals were a little dull),
* That it had variable uses (I've been recording all sorts in the past) like cymbals / percussion, guitar amps etc,
* That it was easily sourced in the UK (cos I live here yo)
* and that it won't cost over £100.

Now I've made a shortlist of mics and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to recommend one or the other?

SE2000
Behringer B1
M-Audio Nova
MXL 2006
AKG Perception 120
Audio Technica AT2020
MXL 440
Studio Projects B1

At present I'm favouring the Audio Technica, Behringer, Studio Projects and SE2000 just because of the favourable comments I've read on here and other sites. Any recommendations?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

are you after a large or small diaphragm condenser?

i am in a similar position at the moment in that im looking for a condenser for less than 100 with more or less the same needs :)

the ones i am looking at are the MXL 604 as an SDC or an sE X1 as an LDC. more inclined towards the MXL now...

if you want a good package deal, have a look at the MXL 990/991 set:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produ...recording-microphone-package.html#sterling_uk

i have used the sE2200a for many things as well, and it performs nicely as a vocal and acoustic mic and is a rood room mic too

hope this helps

Hi there,

I've been researching this for a little while now. I'm a DIY musician and I record my own stuff. I invested in some mics some years ago - sm57s, 58s, AKG D-112 as well as a main condenser mic AKG C4000. I've been pretty happy with this set up as I've been recording one instrument at a time in the past, however now I'm doing a new three piece project and would like to expand on the mics I have so we can record live to get that 'energy'.

One of the other guys in the band is bringing a couple of mics to the party, but basically I'm looking for another condenser with the following specifications:

* That it's brighter than the AKG C4000 (my reasoning for this is that I found the c4000 wasn't the best for being an overhead for drums i.e. cymbals were a little dull),
* That it had variable uses (I've been recording all sorts in the past) like cymbals / percussion, guitar amps etc,
* That it was easily sourced in the UK (cos I live here yo)
* and that it won't cost over £100.

Now I've made a shortlist of mics and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to recommend one or the other?

SE2000
Behringer B1
M-Audio Nova
MXL 2006
AKG Perception 120
Audio Technica AT2020
MXL 440
Studio Projects B1

At present I'm favouring the Audio Technica, Behringer, Studio Projects and SE2000 just because of the favourable comments I've read on here and other sites. Any recommendations?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

KSM32 Shure Americas | KSM32 Embossed Single-Diaphragm Microphone | Premium, Acoustic, Studio, Live Sound

Oops sorry does not meet your price point

It IS accaimed for bagpipes....
Listen to this video.
Buying a your first micrphone for a home studio | homerecordingbootcamp.com

@janthemetal

most likely a large diaphram. yeah I've seen a couple of package deals on condensers, and that one certainly looks tempting! there was a sE X1 on ebay recently, and was reading up on it - apparently a really good vocals mic.

thanks for the comment on the sE2200A dude

@Twinhit

I've read a lot about the MXL V67G, and it would have been on my list, had it not been that UK retailers sell it for £130 odd. I looked into how much it would cost importing from the States and it was like £120. I know compared to other mics that's still not too much but I'm really trying to keep costs low for this one.

@moresound

Nice one fella, cheers for getting back to me.

Ive had great results with the CAD M179 dual LDC. Variable patterns, rolloff and pad. Think can get one for $119 now

Hi Jimmy,

Unfortunately CAD mics a little pricey to get over here, or so I've found. I've read alot about them also, but interestingly I just read a post on Gear Slutz (I'm not able to post the link as I'm a newb) that the Studio Spares B1 is a cheaper version of the CAD M179 (paraphrasing a little there).

It's funny, I almost bidded on some CAD overheads (basically as a punt on eBay), as they were cheap, but decided against it, as I didn't know much about the firm at the time. Basically they were a steal at the price (as was an ADK Project mic which went for £19.99!!).

Perhaps I'll get one next time round when I have a little bit more money to spend.

Just 2 more post Death and you'll be able to link.
Then at 50 post other stranger and wonderful things happen as well. ;)

Hi Jimmy,

. . . I've read alot about them also, but interestingly I just read a post on Gear Slutz (I'm not able to post the link as I'm a newb) that the Studio Spares B1 is a cheaper version of the CAD M179 (paraphrasing a little there).

Not even close in almost any aspect.

Paj
8^)

For anybody interested, I found a Studio Projects B1 for £70 including mic stand and XLR lead on ebay.

Very happy and it's so much better as an overhead than my AKG C4000.

We finished recording and I'll post up a link if anyone is interested in realzz soundzz.

Back