Adk Sc-1

Stefan Elmblad

Hi. I just bought a couple of these but since my studio is down atm I was wondering if any user would care to share with me how they sound ?

Thanks

I'm also wondering about this mic. I found a place where I can get one of these for $60! I hear there may be some quality control issues with ADK mic's. Is it worth it to buy one without testing it, for this price? Supposedly the mic lists for around $250, but that's according to the manufacturer, so I'm sure the selling price is typically lower. But I can't seem to find one sold by itself anywhere. 8thstreet.com has one in a package with an A-51, for $199, including 2 cables. Any input?

tomleblanc said:
I'm also wondering about this mic. I found a place where I can get one of these for $60! I hear there may be some quality control issues with ADK mic's. Is it worth it to buy one without testing it, for this price? Supposedly the mic lists for around $250, but that's according to the manufacturer, so I'm sure the selling price is typically lower. But I can't seem to find one sold by itself anywhere. 8thstreet.com has one in a package with an A-51, for $199, including 2 cables. Any input?

I bought an Oktava ML-52 mic. It lists for $1200. I paid $199. With this spread between "list" and "real" prices, the ADK mic must be overpriced at $60

acorec said:
I bought an Oktava ML-52 mic. It lists for $1200. I paid $199. With this spread between "list" and "real" prices, the ADK mic must be overpriced at $60

I'm not convinced that it is overpriced...those recommended pricings vary LOTS from manufacturer to manufacturer, and mic to mic. The Oktava's are notorious for having very high advertised list prices. Like at GC or MF, when you see the 319 listed as a $500 or so mic, selling for $99.

I'm also not convinced it's overpriced because like I said you can get one in a package along with an A-51, for about $200. Actually, this make's me think $60 for one is a deal! This package is just like the MXL 2001/603s package, with an LD and a SD condenser. But I can't seem to find anyone selling just the SC-1, so I don't know what it typicaly sells for on its own, and I can't find anyone who can comment much on its quality/sound! :( I hate to buy something blindly when I could spend a little more for an MXL 603s or an Oktava MC-012, which I know are good mics. Anyone else know about the SC-1?????

JP Gerard said:
I'm on the A51SC-T right now but I'll have an A51SC-1 sample soon.
I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

JP

There are two different small diaphragm condenser (SC) models. There's an A-51SC, and there's just a plain old SC-1. The A-51 lists for about $100 more. Which one is it that you have??

THE SC-1

I know a little bit about this mic. It has a wide cardioid pattern and is particularly flattering on guitars and also useful on strings.

Most of our dealers sell it new with a warranty for about $90.

Is it a good deal? Depends on your source material, pre-amps, monitors, signal chain. Beauty is in the "ears" of the beholder.

Is it a KM-84? Certainly not.

But if it works well on your source material, it's a real bargain!

Best regards,

Larry Villella, ADK Microphones

tomleblanc said:
I'm also not convinced it's overpriced because like I said you can get one in a package along with an A-51, for about $200. Actually, this make's me think $60 for one is a deal! This package is just like the MXL 2001/603s package, with an LD and a SD condenser. But I can't seem to find anyone selling just the SC-1, so I don't know what it typicaly sells for on its own, and I can't find anyone who can comment much on its quality/sound! :( I hate to buy something blindly when I could spend a little more for an MXL 603s or an Oktava MC-012, which I know are good mics. Anyone else know about the SC-1?????

I know a little about this mic as well. This mic has been out under several brand names. Marshall 603, ADK SC1, and Joemeek JM27. They are still made at Feilo, with the exception of Marshall who took a few Feilo engineers and moved them to another building to build mics for Marshall direct.

I contacted Feilo and asked them directly. They said they make all of ADK's current mics with the exception of three or four models, and that they no longer make any Marshall mics, but the 603 is still the same mic it is now from when Feilo was making it. So, this is what they said and where I got the information. If it is wrong, then blame them.

Anyway, Feilo has been in discussion with me for some time. Now that we own Joemeek, we have decided to bring back the Joemeek line of microphones with some modifications similar to what ADK is doing, but under the Joemeek Meekrophone brand name, and manufactured by Feilo.

We will not copy anything ADK or Marshall does or does not do, and Brent Casey and perhaps Stephen Paul will have waved their hands over the new JM27 SD mic. We have received several samples already from Feilo, and already have the Marshall 603 and ADK SC1 in our hands as well for testing.

Yes, Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, but so far we have not seen any difference in the samples we have from Feilo, ADK, and Marshall. Perhaps there is a new Marshall or ADK mic I do not know about, but we bought both of these samples very recently. I am sure Larry will correct me if I am in error, and I apologize in advance if I am in error.

We are 60 days out from shipping these. We will package them seperately at about $69.00, and we will sell them in pairs as well as with the JM47 1' LD mic as a full mic set. We will alsooffer the mics with the new Joemeek channel strips as TrakPaks. The new line of Joemeek mics allow us to do things we can't do with Studio Projects, so look for very, very agressive pricing and quality on these new Joemeek mics.

Sorry if this turned into a little Spam...just could not help it. I had to let you guys know what is going on.

Click Here

So what your saying is the ADK SC1, Marshall MXL603S and Joemeek JM27 are the same mic... and your just under cutting Marshall, ADK, and etc to put them out of business and take over the market? Larry, you better get on the ball.

Alan, don't misunderstand me... manufactures playing cut throat business is good for us buyers... so I like that... I just hope you don't get screwed in the end when the big boys start playing hardball. :(

Last edited:
Interesting reply DJL, but I think you are way off base. Yes, the three mics are pretty much the same. They have tested out nearly identical. In other words, if you use any of the three low budget mics, and even lower cost mics you will probably like what these mics do. Not for every application mind you, but when you talk about budget SD mics, any of the three will fit the bill.

I am not looking to undercut anyone. We all pay the same for these mics, and if the other manufacturers denies it, well then, they are lying, or bad buisness people.

The only difference is what the profit percentage each of us are willing to work with. Nothing more or less. Marshall was selling them at $49.00. They finally realize that you just can't continue to do that. $69.00 is a fair price for the mics and a reasonable margin for the dealer and the manufacturer. I never said my mics would be $49.00. I said $69.00, which I think is fair. If Marshall and ADK drop the price points, well then I will be forced to follow suit, but don't put all of this on me, because you are way out of line in your thinking. :)

Alan, I'm just thinking out loud and tossing it your way in the hope to get a better idea of how you look at and think about things. Thanks :)

Just a quick note to our viewers at home:

Alan Hyatt has a very vested interest in both Studio Projects and Joemeek. Larry Villella is the CEO of ADK microphones.

Please keep this in mind when accepting advice and/or facts from these gentlemen, especially when they make comments in regards to their competition's microphones.

Alan, you need to tread lightly my friend. While I am a "super moderator", I'm going to report this thread to Recording Engineer and Dragon and let them decide whether it qualifies as spam. While in reality you may be stoked full of unbiased opinions, your business status really disqualifies any comments regarding the sonic quality of any specific microphone.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
Just a quick note to our viewers at home:

Alan Hyatt has a very vested interest in both Studio Projects and Joemeek. Larry Villella is the CEO of ADK microphones.

Please keep this in mind when accepting advice and/or facts from these gentlemen, especially when they make comments in regards to their competition's microphones.

Alan, you need to tread lightly my friend. While I am a "super moderator", I'm going to report this thread to Recording Engineer and Dragon and let them decide whether it qualifies as spam. While in reality you may be stoked full of unbiased opinions, your business status really disqualifies any comments regarding the sonic quality of any specific microphone.

Slackmaster 2000

This is not the first time Alan has done this... but this thread is another example of what I, Chressrock, and others have been trying to point out. It's good to know you can see the truth through the BS, smoke screens and mirror's.

Alright, I've read what has been posted here...

First-off, let me just say that Alan's business status DOES NOT disquality ANY of his comments regarding anything about mics or ANYTHING else for that matter. That is MY opinion.

And to anyone who thinks Alan's (ANYONE elses for that matter) posts are nothing more than BS, smoke screens and mirror's, so be it. You've made YOUR decision and pointed-out plenty of times you think just that and why. Others can, have, do, and will make their OWN decision too!

Alan currently owns and runs a number of brands focused toward the market us homerecording.com folk are in. Do the members here have the right to know this? Absolutely! But this is no secret and Alan has made this a non-secret from day one.

Is this place an advertising platform for Alan? Yes. This can be said for ANY company who posts as often as Alan does on this or ANY other bbs or newsgroup. Is that Alan's intent? I personally do not believe so. I find Alan as a valuble active contributing member here with quite a lot of "inside" info due to him being on THAT side of the glass, so to speak. Obviously, there are times, and even plenty of times, when he CAN'T be unbiased even though he's giving his truly honest opinion. But it's only natural to trust fully into what you design, make, or sell.

So is it SPAM? Maybe to probably... But I've always felt intent to be the REALLY important thing here... And it's usually pretty obvious to pickup on intent around here. You're all pretty cool guys and gals here with truly good intent. Occasionally we get some sour grapes in our little community corner of the web world and I try to get rid of those posts as swiftly and quietly as possible. And usually, they go away right away when they realize they're not going to get away with their SPAMMING in our community like they have many other places.

My only suggestion is maybe Alan should have a Signature stating who he is. That way, there is no doubt to who he is for all new members and anyone who reads these threads in the future when Alan is long-gone, retiring in Hawaii. Of course, that's just even more advertising for Alan...

Anyhow, that's MY opinion on this particular case and in general... Member intent and believing members can and do form their own opinion.

It is up to Dragon to take action if his opinion differs from mine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have since learned that Alan always tries to use the Signature feature for all his posts, but for some reason, the feature isn't working. I can't get it to work either!

Last edited:
RE,

I agree with you in principal, which is why I wanted to just leave it up to you guys. However, Alan implying that the 603 and SC-1 where pretty much the same mic, but that the Joemeek was something "special" really pushed the line IMO. Even if they are identical mics that would imply absolutely NOTHING about their quality in regards to any Alan Hyatt microphone. Then backing it up with implied future listening tests....hmmm....

Perhaps I was harsh saying that all opinions regarding sonic character from Alan would be disqualified....but when he is talking about his mics vs. the competition, which is a frequent case, I don't believe a word he says because he HAS to think that his mic is good.

I don't want to see Alan run off the site or any such thing, but I also don't want to see him touting his mics, simply BECAUSE we are homerec'ers and often don't know any better. That's taking advantage of our little free community of (mostly) amatures. I'm all in favor of technical support and answering questions about the inner workings of microphone, but advertising is not free at this site.

In terms of actual "bbs rules"...I do recall Waldo getting into trouble when posting updates about nowhere. Tough call. This is the last I'm going to think or say about this particular thread though. Thanks for coming by so quickly Weston!

Now, back to the main topic: does anyone have anything constructive to say about the SC-1, other than the fact that it may or may not be very much like the MXL603s? P.S. I wonder what kind of company Felio is if you can just call them and get construction information about private label products...doesn't seem like very good practice to me.

Slackmaster 2000

I agree with RE here. I've read a lot of Alan's posts and while it is clear he is providing information about his lines, it is equally clear that there is an attempt to put forward non spam information.

I read from his posts that the ADK mic was essentially the same mic as the MXL 603. So to answer the question posed by Stefan Elmblad, Alan DID answer the question. He basically implied that if Stefan wanted to go buy the ADK mic, he would be getting the same mic as the 603.

True, Alan did go further by telling us what Studio Projects was planning to do with this mic, but rather than spam I consider this info good info as to what we can expect from SP. There have to be advantages to manufacturer posting on the board. One of those advantages is advanced information to those on the board. Alan's statements about SP's plans to brand the mic under Jomeek was useful advanced information. It's not like he said don't by the MXL 603 or the ADK mic. In fact, the statement that all three mics were all the same IS, in fact, information that enables buyers to not be confused and to buy whichever of the three mics they can get the best $$ deal on.

I can't believe that some of you guys are complaining about what has become a buyer's market... a crime shame against capitalism

Slackmaster2K said:
Now, back to the main topic: does anyone have anything constructive to say about the SC-1, other than the fact that it may or may not be very much like the MXL603s? P.S. I wonder what kind of company Felio is if you can just call them and get construction information about private label products...doesn't seem like very good practice to me.

Slackmaster 2000

Amen Slackmaster! I'm still waiting to hear something from someone who's actually bought an SC-1. It'd be awesome to hear from someone who's A/B'd an SC-1 with a 603s or an MK-012.

Also, does anyone know about the Samson C02's? You can get a matched stereo pair, brand new, from samash.com for $119!!! That's a heck of a deal if they're anything like the 603s or the MK-012.

I read from his posts that the ADK mic was essentially the same mic as the MXL 603.

Actually, all he said was that Felio said they make ADK mics. What he "implied" was that the SC-1 is the same mic as the 603.

He basically implied that if Stefan wanted to go buy the ADK mic, he would be getting the same mic as the 603.

Yep, but all we really know is that the mic is made by the same factory that used to make MXL mics. Does the fact that MXL took some Felio guys and started their own factory mean that the 603 is of the same quality it was when it was manufactured previously? Does the fact that Felio makes ADK mics mean that the ADK mics are the same as the Joemeek, and to stretch furthur, the 603?

True, Alan did go further by telling us what Studio Projects was planning to do with this mic, but rather than spam I consider this info good info as to what we can expect from SP.

Really? Exactly what do you expect from SP? A new product, wow.

One of those advantages is advanced information to those on the board. Alan's statements about SP's plans to brand the mic under Jomeek was useful advanced information.

Is that really useful? How are you going to use this information? There are new cheap mics being introduced all the time. Why not issue a press release? Is it proper to announce your plans in a thread about your competition's microphone?

It's not like he said don't by the MXL 603 or the ADK mic. In fact, the statement that all three mics were all the same IS, in fact, information that enables buyers to not be confused and to buy whichever of the three mics they can get the best $$ deal on.

But in a way he did. "These two mics are the same, this new mic that will be coming out is different." As we all know from Seseme Street, it's always better to be the kid doing his own thing. By saying that two products are essentially the same, but this future product is similar but with modifications, it implies that those modifications are for the better - thus, if we wait for this mic to come out, we will be getting a better value. Who wouldn't want a mic mentioned in the same paragraph as Steven Paul?

I can't believe that some of you guys are complaining about what has become a buyer's market... a crime shame against capitalism

It's only a buyer's market for cheap shit. I hardly think that's an excuse for attempting to sway people who know little to nothing about microphones. If Alan was simply a really big fan of SP, it would be a different story. The truth is that around here he can very well turn his positive comments into dollars and cents.

Oops, did I say I was done with this thread? Dang ;)

Slackmaster 2000

Alright...Alan's an economist and Larry's a mad scientist and DJL and Chessrock are the spam police even though the slackmaster and recording engineer thinks its okay..I think its okay too......

Original subject.I own two of the $199 sets of ADK LD/SD packaged mics.The A51 LD is a V model and has a detailed even sound and can take a good spl when asked to.It has become my favorite mic for small guitar amps as it tends to be a smidge dark.This doesnt mean it doesnt have the highs.It does but they arent sreechy or make you want to reach for the eq. The SC-1 is one of my choices for overhead,acoustic guitar,hihat,banjo...etc.It has a very very even frequency response and a nice amount of output.You can hit fairly hard without fear and its pattern allows it to be used as an overhead on larger drum kits.(wide cardioid).

I've tried it in an X/Y position and it wasnt for it.YMMV. I also use an old set of AKG 451B's and for some guitars these are simply too bright.I've gotten excellent results from the SC-1 on my Taylor and the larger bodied guitars. One fine sounding setup lately has been the A-51V at the 12th fret through a True systems mic pre and the SC-1 at the peg head direct thru the Ghost.
I really like the SC-1 on banjo as its not so bright it will cut off your ears.Also at the peghead with a couple of other choices at the bridge. My favorite being the SP B3.I also use the B3 on smaller bodied guitars in omni.Wonderful mic.
On a couple tracks recently, I took a DI from a Martin acoustic bass into the console and miced the body with the B3.This is the elusive 'upright' sound everyone tries to get without the upright bass.

Both of these manufacturers products live in relative peace in my studio and even assist each other in producing fine sounding recordings.

Finally, I tried out a pair of Marshall 603's.I was able to compare them to the SC-1's directly.They sounded similar but not the same.Perhaps there are similarities in how they are built at the factory, but I'm not the expert here.My ears say good things about both but they also tell me there are sonic differences.

My basic problem with the Marshall's is they are available at Banjo Mart and i HATE that place(guitar center).!!!! I still prefer to buy from knowledgeable pro sound stores.I live in Portland Or. so both Larry and Alan know who I buy from.
An earlier poster mentioned the ADK A51SC-T....this is the SC-1's big brother and has a more defined or refined, if you will, character to it. I sure would like a pair of these.A51SC-t...Larry?

Back