(2) Microtech Gefell M300
(1) ADK SC2

Dynamics:

(2) Shure SM58
(1) Shure SM57
(1) Beyer M66
(1) Beyer M88
(2) EV ND367

I'm wondering what kind of benefit or advantage could come from adding a large diaghram dynamic like an SM7 or RE20. I've never tried one before and haven't "learned" what they can do!?!?

Regards,
Terry

I'd like to know more about large diaphragm dynamics too....
That's something I don't have yet.... (and really don't need....)

I have these cheap mics, and they're not the problem. My playing is. But I want to know about LDD's anyway.... :D

MXL V67G
MXL 990
CAD GXL2200
Oktava MK-319
KEL Audio HM-1
MXL 603s (Matched Pair)
Behringer ECM8000 Mics (Pair)
Shure SM57 (Unidyne III-USA)
Shure SM58
Sennheiser e609 Silver
University Sound (Altec) U660A

My SM7 is my second favorite mic. Amazing on guitar amps and pretty dang good on vocals. Buy one without hesitation. If you shop around you may be able to find one around $200 used.

Large-diaphragm dynamics are among the most useful mics IMO. The Sennheiser 421, the RE20, the SM7. And a sleeper mic which is my favorite for kick drum, the Peavey (yes, I said Peavey) 520i.

Although, if you have a Beyer M88, that pretty much qualifies. I don't know how big its diaphragm is, but it has the sonic characteristics of other LD dynamics.

The sm-7 isn't technically speaking a large diaphragm condenser.

And if you've already got an M-88, I think you pretty much have something that qualifies or comes close enough.

Any of the mics listed above looks like a good addition for your mic closet. In my opinion though it looks like you could really use a Royer or an AEA ribbon mic:)

tkingen said:
In my humble home studio I have the following mics:

Condensers:

(1) Shure KSM44
(1) Shure KSM32
(1) Neumann TLM103
(1) Neumann KM184
(2) Microtech Gefell M300
(1) ADK SC2
Terry,

I notice you have a TLM103 and a KSM44. I am looking to take the next step up in LDC and I was trying to decide between these two. I expect to demo these maybe after xmas when things are a little more quiet at Guitar Center but I’d like your opinion on these mics. Many people here at HR.com say a lot of nice things about the KSM44 such as it is a very good mic for the price but I can’t help thinking that a Neumann mic would be a crown for my mic collection as I do not yet own one. How do you feel about these mics and if you were to do it all over again, would you buy both or just one and if so, which one would it be?

Thanks,

John

chessrock said:
It ain't a condenser at all, chessy!

Ci2 - what we all want to know is ........ what's your favourite mic then?

chessrock said:

And if you've already got an M-88, I think you pretty much have something that qualifies or comes close enough.

The SM7 is so big and open, the M88 is very controlled. I like both.

Anyway, the Green Bullet has a big ass diaphragm. That's the one you want!

Back