Acoustic GUitar Mics Under $150

Alexrkstr

Looking for a condenser mic to mic my guitar (LV-03E) and record to Cubase SX

Berhinger B-5 (Small D)
Samson C02 (2 pencil mics)
MXL 2001 (Large D.)
MXL 603 (Small D)

I can only afford up to $150 in mics (I know 2 is better so, hence the question and post :) )

Has anyone used these?

- Alex

Alexrkstr said:
Looking for a condenser mic to mic my guitar (LV-03E) and record to Cubase SX

Berhinger B-5 (Small D)
Samson C02 (2 pencil mics)
MXL 2001 (Large D.)
MXL 603 (Small D)

I can only afford up to $150 in mics (I know 2 is better so, hence the question and post :) )

Has anyone used these?

- Alex
Yea, I like the MXL603S on acoustic instrument... and the B5 is ok... I've never used the C02 or 2001 so I can't comment about them... oh, and 2 is not always better.

the 603 tends to do acoustic duties pretty darn well at it's price. Obviously, the pair is $200, so that's out of your range, but even a single one, placed well, will be fine to get started. You can combine it with another mic if you have one (LDC, dynamic, whatever) for binaural recording.

I haven't tried the others on your list for comparison, so I can't say which might be best. I do like my 603s, though.

I got a pair of 603s on sale for 100 bucks at guitar center like 2 weeks ago...pretty good deal....but you dont need two...two is only good if you know what your doing when your micing so you might as well avoid the problem and just use one....id go snag just one 603...its a nice little mic for the price.

For capturing my *solo* guitar work, steel and nylon, I prefer large condensor mics to bring out the warmth and depth. The cheap SP B1 works very well for me at home although in my local pro studio, I always opt for a pricier model. I haven't tried other budget LD condensors, like the new AT 2020 or M-Audio Nova, but the SP B1 has gotten mostly positive reviews here and elsewhere for price/performance.

Best,

J.

Warhead said:
I agree, lately I'm doing more and more one mic acoustic guitar type stuff. X/Y or other stereo techniques can be kind of distracting in the mix.

Good room, one mic, yup.

War

I also find the single mic blended with a DIed acoustic pu suits most tasks quite nicely. I just like the fact that there's more room to tweak the tone to taste. :)

acoustic little mic

i've had MXL 991 on acoustic (think its same as 603)...
with 990/991 combo pack for $89.
figure i'll sell/turn the 990.

Yeah the 991 is identical to the 603s. I really like my 603's, got the matched set with the shockmounts for 200 or so. I can't speak for the other mics (although I've never heard a positive thing about Samson mics :p )

If you have a good room, a pair of Behringer ECM8000's can be had for about $80 the pair, and they're really not bad as overheads.-Richie

COOLCAT said:
i've had MXL 991 on acoustic (think its same as 603)...
with 990/991 combo pack for $89.
figure i'll sell/turn the 990.

Sweetwater's had the 990/991 combo pack up for a while now. I'm thinkin about grabbing one, maybe two, for the hell of it. $200 for a pair of each of those two mics which people seem to be raving about doesn't seem so bad. What're your thoughts?

I think the Behringer ECM8000 omni combines well with a 603 - with the 603 fairly close and the 8000 a bit further away.

Tim

cominginsecond said:
I don't know of many that "rave" about the 990.

each review on musicians friend of the 990 or 991 pack is of people saying "i can't believe i only paid (x) for this thing - i'm about to buy another." They, of course, may be buying microphones for the first time ever, so you never can tell.

If one had $200, and was looking for a pretty good all around mic set (for instruments and vocals) would you suggest a couple 990/991 packs?

Two's not better. Most acoustic guitars on most albums are tracked with a single mic. I don't know how, when, where or why so many people got fixated on a "pair of small condensers" for recording acoustic guitar. If you want to do some classical or serious solo acoustic guitar stuff – using a pair is an option – but not for acoustic tracks in a pop or rock song. And the mic doesn't have to be a small condenser either. LDC's are often used on acoustic guitar.

For something under $150 I vote you get a single $99 Studio Projects B1 – and use the rest of the money on something else or take your girl out to dinner. The B1 does a very good job on acoustic guitar. And if you have an amp around it also does a great job on them as well.

I think the Behringer ECM8000 omni combines well with a 603 - with the 603 fairly close and the 8000 a bit further away.

I use this combination when I want an eventual mono track that's got the qualities of both of the individual mic's. The full close sound of the 603 really opens up when a little of the 8000 is mixed in. I keep them in line, one behind the other and after I time align the tracks there's never any phase problem. I use this technique with other card/omni combinations also. My recording space has good acoustics, so I usually put the omni about 8 ft back, but it also sounds good closer, even at the same distance as the cardioid. And having a little of the omni mixed in seems to make the track take added reverb with a more realistic sound.

Tim

Back