$500 Microphone Suggestion?

Unknown Child

Hey, I wrote a thread regarding this topic previously, but I focused primarily on the AT4033. For those that didn't read it or don't remember, I have an AT4033 I've had for about 9 years now and I'm getting the feeling the diaphragm is gunked right up. I can't find any technicians in Southern Ontario, Canada, and if I looked any further (ie: shipping it off) it would probably come close to the $399 price-tag Long and McQuade is asking here.

I planned on just grabbing a brand new one to replace it, but no Long and McQuade has it in stock, nor is it available from them online. I don't want to waste anymore time, and I like to stick with Long and McQuade as they have always stayed faithful to their 30-day return policy, which can be a god-send when it comes to mics.

Enough rambling, question is: Which microphone would you recommend in the $500 to someone looking to record rap vocals that fluctuate in pitch (meaning at times the artist will go very deep but then swing up to a higher pitched eminem-ish tone quickly) and a little bit of rock vocals?

I know that none of you can tell me what will work best for ME, but some guidance would help if I could narrow down 3 quality microphones to take a good look at.

I'd prefer a Cardioid, and I already own a tube microphone. Look forward to hearing the suggestions.

Precisely. I do all the instrument recording out of another studio, or session players will drop me work they did at other locations. This is strictly a vocal mic.

Cardioid is a polar pattern, and not a tube thingy. I just started using a Sputnik and my daughter said today "That's way clearer than your NTK"

How do u like the Sputnik? Whats ur verdict on it? I know its the pattern, sorry, I should have worded it better. I meant "I'd like it to be a cardioid microphone, and I'd also prefer it not to be a tube mic"

It's a bit "cleaner/clearer" than the NTK and it really cuts through the mix. The Rode has more of a tube sound with beefier mids, kinda cloudy versus the Sputnik (if that makes sense). Both are great mics. I recorded all the vocals currently on my G M P Soundclick Link with the Rode. Once I get a few songs recorded with the Sputnik I'll try and post a comparison so people can see. The Sputnik was recommend by an ME (Jan @ finemastering.de) the web has lots of good things to say about it also.

Back