414b uls a bright mic?

h kuhn

Hi,
after recording with the 414b uls and later comparing it directly to the nt1000 and ntk I tend to consider it a rather flat but very transparent mic, but people keep on telling me that they don't like it because it is too bright. Compared to my 4035 and the rodents, to my ears it sounds very pleasent without that "present peak" and HF raise the other LDs have. If the 414 is a bright mike, what would be a neutral sounding LD condenser in a similar price class (between 500 - 1000 US$)? And how big is the difference between a 414b uls and the old 414eb (which people seem to prefer)?
thanx,
Harald

The b/uls is not a bright sounding mic. The tlII might be bright though since it has more high end. THe B/uls as you noted is very smooth. No harshness or spittiness like found in cheaper models. It also has a neutral , on some instuments, stident sound.

Hi h kuhn,

I'd say that the C414EB is quite a bit more "toppy" [I just compared one of these old C414EBs to a new C414B-ULS before I made the decision to buy the latter]. The ULS stands for Ultra Linear Series and they are a very pleasing and deadly accurate too [once you find the right placement for your applications]. I personally love AKGs and own quite a few; C4000B and C391B among some others like the C 2000B [which has a very unique "growl" when used for recording electric guitar amps]. You cannot go wrong with AKG mics-- FYI their shockmounts and mic clips are simply bulletproof and absolutely RULE when compared to any other brand IMHO.

thanks for your replys,
has anyone an idea how the ksm44 compares to the 414? I will get a chance to try one out, but won't be able to make a side by side comparison. What I've read about the ksm44 sounds pretty encouraging, flat frequency response, transparaent, very linear, no hyped top end but wide freq. response etc.

thank you
Harald

Hi Harald,

I tried the KMS 32 and the KMS44 preferring the KMS44 by a wide margin. The KMS44 has a true large diaphragm size of one inch whereas the KMS32 had a 7/8" diapraghm. Shure themselves told me this. To be honest, the KMS44 was an okay sounding mic... perhaps a little darker than the C414B-ULS. I would go with the AKG myself because I like very accurate microphones. In fact, my favorite AKG large diaphragm is their C 4000 B now--that is the one that will get the most use for electric guitar work where the C414B-ULS will be used for vocals, drum overheads, sax and acoustic guitar work although it sounds wonderful on guitar amps [such as a Vox AC-30 combo when combined with a dynamic ]. I enjoy mutiple mic'ing techniques and am always messing around to find more techniques to use]. I will be honest here too--I would trust a well-known legendary European company for sheer quality stuff. I have a tendency to get a bit suspicious with products made elsewhere than the USA or in Europe. Just my own opinion. Guess my own European heritage is coming through here!:D

PinkStrat said:
I have a tendency to get a bit suspicious with products made elsewhere than the USA or in Europe. Just my own opinion. Guess my own European heritage is coming through here!:D

I'm german...but as i live in mexico, it would be a great advantage to buy a microphone made here or in the US, as the import dutys are sky-high for products from outside the nafta.
I am hardly micing e-guitar, mostly acoustic instruments, horns, doublebass, drums, strings, sometimes voice. I have got a pair of mc012 and a at4035, and I have been waiting for a pair of earthworks omnis for about 6 months now (i tell you, 3rd world begins right 1km south of laredo,TX). So what I am looking for is a flat, precise multipattern LD mic, if possible made in the NAFTA.
that makes the ksm44 an interesting candidate.
Harald

Back