AT 4033a vs. Shure KSM27

battery198

Looking for a condenser mic for vocals. Going to be used with a female singer, medium to lower style voice. Which of these two would you recommend? I can get them both used for roughly the same price.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looking for a condensor mic for vocals. Going to be used with a female singer, medium to lower style voice. Which of these two would you recommend? I can get them both used for roughly the same price.

I have experience with the AT4033 but not the Shure KSM27. The 4033 is excellent for many male vocalists but I haven't found it to be as impressive with female voices. It tends to add a mildly distorted top end that comes across sounding warm on male vocals but sounds thin with female vocals.

My first choice for women of the mics I have in that price range is a SM7 or Baby Bottle.

Personally ... I tend to think that any mic that has the 5-6K bump ... can be a bit to much for most female vocals.

Most female voices don't need any help in that range, and it can come out kind of harsh at times.

The 12K bump, on the other hand, is just fine for female vocals ... most of the time (although can present sibilance issues from time to time).

The thing is ... both of those mics can be aggressive in the midrange. Great for male vocals, usually, but can be problematic for the ladies.

I have a 4033. I think it is a bit on the bright side. I think it is a pretty good instrument mic, but generally use other mics for vocals. If you want a midprice LD condenser that would be pretty good for vocals, I'd look at the AT4040, AT4050 or KSM44.

Ok,
So the shure might be better? That one comes with a shockmount and case too, the AT does not.

The ksm27 doesn't come with a case, unless you count the padded box. It does come with a cloth bag and a shockmount tho. I like mine, although I don't have any experience with the AT4033.

I recorded a lady with a fantastic alto jazz voice using a KSM44. Her response was "Finally someone can record me and make it sound like me."

I would consider both of these mics to be very similar in what they do, its just that vocals are not their strong suit. Instruments of all kinds....certainly....Room mic and percussion....absolutely.......vocals...hit or miss.

I gotta go with the SM7b as the do-all vocal mic, especially with a large variety of people singing into it. I would also recommend a nice high-output mic pre for it as it doesnt have a lot of gain.

A KSM44 will also be a great choice of do-all-be-all equipment for a small studio.

Back