2 x SM57's stopped working

I want to clean my old Shure545 (it's the late 1960 or early 70s version), but I can't unscrew the top. I can't find instructions online how to open it, and they guy who sold it to me said the foam inside can't be replaced because it can't be opened. This seems a bit crazy. Does anyone know if it's true and/or how to open one?

Hey,
I'm almost certain it works the same as a 57. It doesn't unscrew but there's a circlip inside.
I think it's accessible by removing the label. You can see the two ends of the clip and push them in with a screw driver or something.
That'll let the plastic top+grill assembly slip right off.

I've had issues with mics (Shures) that got wonky after sitting for a few years, unused. I've done the blowing into the screen thing, and when that doesn't work a little light tap on the desk did. (No worries, Shure SM's are built tough!).

The foam, plastic disc, or mesh can all degrade or move and end up obstructing the diaphragm, so I'd encourage all of you guys to take the cap off and investigate that, at least.
That said, we're not dealing with a £3000 mic here. I admit I'd be the first to bang it on the table. :p

ive got a bad sm57, it came in a used drum kit. pissed me off. it was way past 30days when I trired it.

i recently tried the youtube method to remove the clip and such and totally destroyed the cheap label that has to be removed. so before messing with it be aware the label will easily be destroyed. not a big thing, but it wont be worth much in a sales game once the labels stretched and ruined.
i gave the youtibe a negative mark for not mentioning that.
be extremly careful and slow in pullling the label/sticker off.

the new capsules arent worth the hassle, just be glad its only a $99 mic.

Our drummer somehow put his 57 into the washing machine with his pants and who knows what else!

Long wet story short, it still works like a gem. I bought the thing from him just for the story. And yeah, I use it because it sounds like new.

Strange but true. The sucker sold it to me for a modest $15.:D

Back