Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 x SM57's stopped working

Thanks

2 x SM57's stopped working

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi Folks,

I recently had 2 x SM57s stop working. Not stop working completely. They sound hollow and lower volume, as if someone put on a low cut @ 500hz or something with the gain turned down slightly. I find it strange this happened to 2 mics at relatively the same time. My other 57s still work fine. I A, B, C'd them all on the same signal path to test them all.

In fairness, the 2 that failed were very old (over 30 years), so I just went out and bought new ones. I can always use more SHURE stickers anyways . They were my 2 original 57s I bought when I was 16 years old, but I don't see why they should fail. They never received any abuse or drum stick hits and rarely left my constant room temperature studio. The only thing I can think of is the diaphragms may have worn out somehow? Any ideas why this would have happened.

Regards,
    Ray

Thanks
    Never heard of that happening. Two at the same time?
    Hmmm. Afraid im not much help.

Thanks
    Long shot...Have you tested with a few different cables? I suppose if one side of the balanced signal got dropped things could get weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    When I say "At the same time". I just mean I plugged the both in for a project and realized they both weren't working after using them both successfully for another project a couple of weeks previous.

Regarding different cables. I plug in one 57 and it doesn't work. I plug in a known good 57 and it works fine. My signal chain including cabling is fine.

I'm not asking if someone can fix the problem. I was more just curious if anyone had heard of this problem before with any mic with the problem I described above (as if someone put on a low cut @ 500hz or something, with the gain turned down slightly). No bass and less volume. ......tinny sounding.

Regards and thanks

Thanks
    It takes a hard hit to kill a 57. Like a wrecking ball to do it. But I have heard one sound like that when they do actually get killed.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    When I say "At the same time". I just mean I plugged the both in for a project and realized they both weren't working after using them both successfully for another project a couple of weeks previous.

Regarding different cables. I plug in one 57 and it doesn't work. I plug in a known good 57 and it works fine. My signal chain including cabling is fine.
    Ah, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    I'm not asking if someone can fix the problem. I was more just curious if anyone had heard of this problem before with any mic with the problem I described above (as if someone put on a low cut @ 500hz or something, with the gain turned down slightly). No bass and less volume. ......tinny sounding.

Regards and thanks
    What you're describing sounds like obstructed coils or diaphragms.
    AKG d12 (twelve) gets this a lot because the diaphragm is clamped, rather than glued, and can move over time or as a result of a hard thud.
    If you've ever put pressure on one side of a hifi speaker cone, you'll probably have observed the same symptoms. It forces the coil to rub sacrificing LF output.

Potential causes include exposure to moisture causing corrosion, debris in there (somehow) or foam degrading/coming loose and putting pressure on the diaphragm.

Someone had a similar thing a while back and another member here suggested sucking the top of the mic....I'm not even joking.
    Whatever was causing the obstruction, that was enough to remedy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    Ah, fair enough.

What you're describing sounds like obstructed coils or diaphragms.
    AKG d12 (twelve) gets this a lot because the diaphragm is clamped, rather than glued, and can move over time or as a result of a hard thud.
    If you've ever put pressure on one side of a hifi speaker cone, you'll probably have observed the same symptoms. It forces the coil to rub sacrificing LF output.

Potential causes include exposure to moisture causing corrosion, debris in there (somehow) or foam degrading/coming loose and putting pressure on the diaphragm.

Someone had a similar thing a while back and another member here suggested sucking the top of the mic....I'm not even joking.
    Great advice! And I remember that conversation! LOL at sucking on a mic and it working!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks

I'm gonna try this in a few mins. If it works, I'm gonna freak out. I'll let you know.
    Thanks for the insight and advice.

Thanks
    Holly Crap it worked !!! Although sucking didn't work, but cupping my hand around the mic and blowing (with an air tight seal so all the air went into the diaphragm) worked !!!
    I could have saved myself a couple of hundred bucks!! Oh well Can never have enough 57s around I guess.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this board so I will try to return the favour to some other folks and offer my advice where needed.

Thanks
    I should add that my mic locker is located right near a sliding glass door and it can get kinda moist and humid in that area during the winter. I get a bid of condensation on the bottom of the glass door, but not much. Maybe that's what caused it. But they are stored in SHURE bags in a wooden drawer. I wouldn't think it got too humid in there. I have 12 guitars in the same room and they all stay in tune for the most part and only my Stingray bass requires a t-rod adjustment twice a year.

Anyhoo, Super happy right now. !!

Thread Information