Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 x SM57's stopped working

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Back in band days...we used 57s and 58s a lot on stage...and the ones that were used for vocals would get so full of crud (it was gross), everyone made sure they always got the same mic......but at some point they just needed to be cleaned.
    Not to mention, some of those band days were before smoking prohibition in clubs...so yeah, nasty cigarette shit would be on everything.

You may want to clean them up a bit more effectively than just blowing into them...maybe you knocked same crud loose, and it's OK for now, but then it causes issues again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I suppose there's a good enough chance that there's corrosion on the coils and blowing/sucking was enough to free it.
    Ideal? Not so much...but it worked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    They say you can hammer nails with a 57....maybe next time try that...it should definitely loosen the coil.

Thanks
    What a great Christmas Story! He he...

Steeno gets rep!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post

You may want to clean them up a bit more effectively than just blowing into them...maybe you knocked same crud loose, and it's OK for now, but then it causes issues again.
    There shouldn't be any crud in them. They have never been used for vocals, only drums and amps and instruments. When I A/B them against my new 57s I just bought, they sound exactly the same now. I'll stick with the suck and blow method until it doesn't work anymore, then I'll take the caps off if need be to see what's going on under there.

Thanks
    Beyond the suck/blow method, how would one go about cleaning the things? I've got a couple of dynamics with a similar issue, and sucking didn't work. Believe me, I suck pretty hard . I guess I didn't try blowing, but I agree that this is likely only a temporary fix.

Also, I'm really surprised this thread has stayed this clean for this long...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Beyond the suck/blow method, how would one go about cleaning the things? I've got a couple of dynamics with a similar issue, and sucking didn't work. Believe me, I suck pretty hard . I guess I didn't try blowing, but I agree that this is likely only a temporary fix.

Also, I'm really surprised this thread has stayed this clean for this long...
    LOL...

On the d12 the coil wires come out the sides of the diaphragm and are soldered onto trailing wires on the outside of the assembly,
    so you can desolder at that point, remove the diaphragm clamps (no glue), and lift the whole diaphragm/coil away.

On the sm57 the diaphragm is glued down and and there's a lot more footery case removal to do in order to free the coil wires.

If the glue has given up and allowed the diaphragm to move the I suppose it's a relatively easy fix, but if the glue is good and there's crap in around the coil gap, I wouldn't fancy it.

If you did a successful tear down, I guess I'd clean the coil with a dry cotton swab and the gap with a piece of folded sticky tape, if there's visible debris.

Thanks
    I had a rehearsal studio once shitloads of 57s and 58s.Needed to ckean those suckers all the time. Used rubbing alcohol. A Lot! That and a toothbrush.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Beyond the suck/blow method, how would one go about cleaning the things? I've got a couple of dynamics with a similar issue, and sucking didn't work. Believe me, I suck pretty hard .
    Jokes aside, I hesitate to recommend it.
    Sure, applied gently it might prove a point and maybe fix the mic but I imagine it'd be easy enough to go too far and damage, or unseat, the diaphragm.
    If the coil wires get torn or damaged, you're pretty much stuffed.

Thanks
    I agree, I didn't blow too hard, not like I was blowing up a balloon and busting my lungs. I just cupped my hand around it and blew gently, just enough to get the diaphragm moving more than just singing into it.

Thread Information