(2) TLM-103's vs (1) TLM-103 + (2)MC012

DanielJohn

Ok,
Wanna mic my acoustic guitar and my vocals.
And I've been begging over the question of which way to go.
A stereo pair of TLM-103's and use it for both Vocals and Acoustic Guitar.
Or use a single TLM-103 for vocals, and use a stereo pair oktava's for acoustic guitar?

Obviously the first is more expensive, but if it will give me better quality overall, its worth it to me. But if i'm gonna get the same results, might as well save the money for other mic's.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

-DAN

I would buy one TLM-103 and one MC012 and record your acoustic guitar with both of them. I use one small diaphram and one large diaphram (or medium diaphram) in a coincident pattern on my acoustic guitars and it is fantastic.

The advantage is that you would have a TLM103 for vocals and it would cost less than buying two TLM103's. The disadvantage is that if you ever wanted a matched pair of small diaphrams you might not be able to find a close match with another MC012.

If your vocals are a priority in your music then at least buy one TLM103. The Marshall 603 would be another option for small diaphram.....it's hard to beat the price.

One tlm103 two mc012s will be more versitile and may cover alot more than 2 tlm103s

the suggestion of the mxl603s is a good one, I also suggest a C1 or somthing that will outperform the tlm103 for a fraction of that price.

that will leave more cash for a better set of pres.:cool:

This is an easy one. Get the 103, a most excellent mic, and then get a matched pair of MC012's with 6 capsules from the Sound Room for $659.00 http://www.oktava.com/ Then you'll have a great LD, a matched pair of SD cardioids, or hyper cardioids, or omnis, or any combination of the above, all for the same price as the two TLM103's. You can get the 012's for less money, but if you're budgetted for two 103's, then it probably makes sense to use the whole budget to get a truely matched stereo pair of the 012's with all the capsules.
Regards, RD

"I also suggest a C1 or somthing that will outperform the tlm103 for a fraction of that price."

What? Admittedly, I've never heard a C1, and I certainly have heard many good reports about it, but "outperform the TLM103" I have not heard before.

Anyone else share this opinion?

Robert D said:
Admittedly, I've never heard a C1, and I certainly have heard many good reports about it, but "outperform the TLM103" I have not heard before.

Uh . . . like YEA. :D Right here. And I admittedly do have experience with it.

I think all the Studio Projects hysteria has blinded a sad few.

Good mics for the money they are. Neumanns they are not.

I hate to be the one to break the news, but I'm not even shure the C1 will outperform an Audio Technica 3035 (for the same price) on a consistent basis. Ditto for the Marshall mxl 2003 for $50 less. On some voices, yes.

The only cheaper mic I might consider over the TLM-103 would be the Audio Technica 4043. It comes close.

chessrock said:
The only cheaper mic I might consider over the TLM-103 would be the Audio Technica 4043. It comes close.

It might come close, if it ever existed ! Did they morph a 4033 with a 4040 ? :D

You know what I mean. That ONE microphone by AT . . whatever it's name is. :D The 40 . . . whatever. And maybe my "shure" mis-spelling was actually a subliminal message (KSM series? Sm7?)

Robert D said:
"I also suggest a C1 or somthing that will outperform the tlm103 for a fraction of that price."

What? Admittedly, I've never heard a C1, and I certainly have heard many good reports about it, but "outperform the TLM103" I have not heard before.

Hey RD. You have to consider the source sometimes. Darrin loves the "underdog" when it comes to gear - check out some of his other posts on other threads. Opinions in the form of pronouncements are just his style! He's not fond of qualifiers like "in my opinion" or "some people find..." You'll get used to it. :D

Ive compared the 2 and the C1 was the better sounding, get them side by side.

Theres a reason why industry experts say Its like a modded u87.

The tlm103 is the bottom of the line neuman.

Its wayne dude, and you have seen the articals and the testimonials on that mic. Dont pretend you havent.

Now if you gave me the neuman I wouldnt hate it, but it wouldnt get as much use here. Try them side by side dude and then comment on them.

darrin_h2000 said:
and you have seen the articals and the testimonials on that mic. Dont pretend you havent.

I get a lot of Jehova's witnesses giving me their testimonials, too, and . . . never mind.

I have them both and have tried both of them side-by-side in many applications, and except for a few instances, the tlm103 beat the C1 hands-down, at least to my ears (qualifier).

I wouldn't even put the two mics in the same league really, regardless of what industry experts are saying.

I also agree about toe AT 3035, I find myself pulling it out much more frequently than I do the C1.

Cheers,

Bryan

Back