1/4 microphone plug to small plug

eliturbo

i have a microphone which has a big plug(which is called a 1/4 plug i believe) and i want to use it for my laptop so it needs to be a small plug. Is that possible and if, where can i buy a converter? And does it impact the sound quality?

any electronics outlet have them - but the quality depends on the computer, not the adaptor. Most computers are really awful on mic inputs - they are built for gamers to yell at each other, not low noise and good frequency response.

Cheap enough to try and get an idea if your soundcard is good enough to do what you want.
what do you mean? i want to use it for youtube. I just want to have a good microphone for that. so if you have a bad soundcard, it doesnt matter how good the microphone is, the sound can be very bad? and what do you mean with mono sound? is the plug mono or stereo?
at e.g. Amazon they say its a audio plug so that also works with microphones?

Last edited:
If your microphone came with a 1/4" plug, it's not really a 'good' microphone.

How exactly do you want to use the microphone for youtube? What are you trying to record? What software are you using? Youtube is video with a compressed audio track ....

If your microphone came with a 1/4" plug, it's not really a 'good' microphone.

How exactly do you want to use the microphone for youtube? What are you trying to record? What software are you using? Youtube is video with a compressed audio track ....
I want to record gaming commentary. Its a very old microphone, but i dont hope that old ones are very bad(i hope its at least as good as my mic that i used to use but broke. that was a 20€ headset so not very good). I use windows movie maker and sony vegas 11.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it has indeed a xlr cable with on the other side a 1/4" jack. i have seen that its also possible to buy a XLR to 3.5mm jack cable. is that better than a XLR to 1/4" and than a 1/4" to 3.5mm converter? i think it should be but not sure. whould i impact the sound?

Last edited:
I am very new to the microphone world so i dont know much about it. Is there a special type of cable this mic needs?

Watch it!
Most of those cheap mics with XLRs on them are nonetheless wired unbalanced. I know this because I have bought several over the last 3 years to put in my garden (look lovely along with the daffs!) .
Thus, even if you plug in a standard XLR mic lead you still have an unbalanced mic and because most of them have a plastic body it will hum like a cnut.

You can usually remove the XLR connector from the mic and rewire it. Cut the link from pin 1 to pin 3 and solder the other (cold) mic wire to pin 3. I REALLY don't know why they do this! Costs more! The XLR to TS jack now needs modifying if you want to use it as an unbalanced XLR to jack lead. I just chop off the crap XLR plug and fit another TS and use it as a spare guitar lead!

Dave.

my father has build the 1/4" cable into a 3.5mm one but ti doesn't work :(. i also dont think its gonna work. Thanks for you help :) the post i posted before was just when we finished testing and when my father than attached it, it didnt work

Back