Before starting the questions, I would like to say that I did get a few responses for my private message posting. But, the people who gave me suggestions were so good that they asked me to post it publicly so that I will benefit more. Thanks to Ted and ssscientist. Here are my questions ...
I am a newcomer to this group. I would really be grateful to you if you can give me a suggestion for my problem. I may not be very correct in the use of music jargon. Please excuse if I am wrong. And correct me.
I am living in India in the city called Chennai. I am a software
professional. I do not have any knowledge of playing the keyboard but
am a good singer and also compose music (without the help of any
instrument). So, I have some knowledge about music. But to further
enhance my knowledge and assist in composing new tunes, I understand
that keyboard will really help me. Also, I have to play the keyboard
in my church. I am confident that I will play the keyboard soon. I am
starting the classes by next month.
Also, I have composed more than 25 songs ( that is, without music) and
I want to release my own gospel album. So, it will be great if I can
handle all the recording stuff in my house itself. I already have a
computer at home.
At this juncture, I went to a nearby music store and asked for guidance.
The salesman said that I have to buy the following:
1. Keystation 61es keyboard
2. Audiophile 2496 sound card
3. REASON 2.5 software.
He said that when I learn to play the keyboard, I can also learn to
work with the software and after 2 years cut my own album. It seems
very ideal for me. But as said already, I am new and need the best advice before going for this.
Now, my questions are:
1. Is the salesman correct in what he said?
2. Is it too early for me to buy software or such a keyboard?
3. The salesman says that only keystation 61es is best compatible for
MIDI. Other keyboards (like Yamaha PSR 450) will not transmit or
receive MIDI properly. Is that true?
4. What is MIDI thru?
5. What is your suggestion for sound card?
6. Should I invest in software at all now? or just concentrate on
learning the keyboard now?
7. Is Reason 2.5 the only good software available?
8. How long will it take me approx to learn to program my music using
the software in a computer?
9. Is there a keyboard which is both MIDI compatible (I mean maximum level compatibility) and has its own sounds so that I can play them without the use of music software (like playing the keyboard in the church) ?
My budget is Indian Rs. 30,000. That is $ US 800. I can buy keyboards
only in India or ask my friends to bring it from Singapore or
Thailand. I heard that it is a bit cheap there.
I hope you are now clear as to what I need. Your advice in really
important for me to take a decision. Thanks a lot for helping me.
Awaiting your advice.
You can either post your replies here or can reply to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
With best regards,