setup help pls...

Sofisticated

sup guys...i just bought a midi controller and a roland xv-5050..needless to say i can pump out the illest sounds for a nice price...but i cant record them through my cakewalk homestudio 2002 on my computer...every thing works sept i cant get it to record...is this a soundcard problem? i have and audigy platnum ex..or is this completly different im not sure im absolutly lost...

also im thinkin of gettin a roland mc-909 or a triton le series for a sequencer plus extra sounds...but what i needa know is if i can store the recordings on those or if i have to go through my comp again...honestly i really wanna stay away form my computer unless its for mastering and managing clients...but if i have to go through my comp again what is a good setup to have to accomidate midi..including the soundcard and the programs to operate them....

thanks alot fellaz apperciate everything...

sofist of shattered minds

Cakewalk should be great for this kind of stuff. what you need is to troubleshoot from signal in to app to output.
Are you getting sound into the windows mixer? Can you hear the keyboard in the computer's outputs? If so you probably need to chose your recording device in your windows settings/control panel/multimedia controls. If that doesn't work it may be settings in Cakewalk. Look for options or settings in Cakewalk to chose recording device or activate simultaneous record/playback. Are you opening a track and chosing the inputs properly?

This is probably a better question for the Cakewalk forum here, I have used it but it's been a long time.
Most important thing though is learning to troubleshoot.

no the signal dead in the windows mixer..and i cant hear a thing unless i switch the output on the midi to my soundcard..then it plays the sounds on my module and i can hear it but cant record it...im lost =\

midi controller powered via usb to my computer...wich is connected via midi out to the roland midi in(using a midi cable)...then the roland is connected to the computer via usb....

ahhh

So, ultimately you're attempting to use USB as your input...A question...Why not your line in on your Audigy? I think they are capable of 24 bit recording...I use an audigy and am very pleased with the result...I've never had much luck recording MUSIC through USB, but then again I haven't utilized the latest and greatest.

If you still want to use USB, it sounds like you need to change your recording device from Audigy to USB.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, but you're not helping.

MIDI is not audio. Its just a communications interface/protocol that is transmitting information telling a MIDI device to play a certain note for a set duration.

If you want to record the output of your synth, you have to connect the outputs of the keyboard to the LINE IN on your soundcard and record an AUDIO track in HS.

I was gonna say that too, brzilian, but if the xv-5050 has a USB connection to the PC, it might well be an audio connection. And it would show up as a separate audio device from the Audigy.

If the xv-5050 does NOT put audio into the PC, the USB connection would seem to of limited value. And, in that case, I'd agree with you.

bzilian...what u are implying would require more midi outputs right?...there is only one comming out of my keyboard and that would go to my sound module...i think what gathering is that the output of the module goes to the soundcard line in...that way you can utilize both controller and module...otherwise it is a regular controller...wit no syth sounds form the xv-5050...

the only problem this poses is that i would need a midi to 1/4 inch cable..and i dont think they make them...ashdfjasdf bah!!

Sofisticated said:
bzilian...what u are implying would require more midi outputs right?...there is only one comming out of my keyboard and that would go to my sound module...i think what gathering is that the output of the module goes to the soundcard line in...that way you can utilize both controller and module...otherwise it is a regular controller...wit no syth sounds form the xv-5050...

the only problem this poses is that i would need a midi to 1/4 inch cable..and i dont think they make them...ashdfjasdf bah!!

You're still not understanding it. MIDI IS NOT audio.

You need to do some reading.

MIDI Basics

MIDI.com

It's actually simple man. Unplug the MIDI cable (USB) and plug in a dual 1/4" to 1/8" stereo plug into your soundcard going from the keyboard. If you don't have a cable like that just go to Radioshack and ask them for a 'dual 1/4" to single 1/8" plug'.
Just ignore the cell plan specials, that's all they care about.

Keyboard -> USB port to computer (just carries the midi data)
Computer -> 5050 via Midi port on sound card I assume (just passing along the keyboard pressure and note data)
5050 USB out or midi out -> USB or midi in on computer (Once again just passing midi data back to the computer - Not the sound of the 5050 however just the pressure and note data once again)

You need to connect your 5050 to the audio in of your sound card as brzilian says. Audio is not transmitted via USB or Midi connectors. Audio is transmitted via 1/4 analog jacks.

So it goes like this

Keyboard -> USB on Computer -> Midi out on computer to midi in on 5050 - Midi out on 5050 or USB out, if it has one, back to another USB or Midi jack IN on the computer. Heres the missing step --- Plug stereo cable from 5050 1/4 jacks to soundcard IN jacks L+R for stereo sound.

Audio is transmitted via USB for every USB sound card. Also on that new all-in-one M-Audio keyboard, whatever it's called.

If you know FOR A FACT that the 5050 doesn't do audio via USB that's one thing. But it sounds like you're saying there's no such thing as this kind of technology - and there is.

haha ya there is...i apprecite the help...thx to jake and middleman i got it up and running and to brzilian for the much needed info...thx bro...welp its off to make beats time...thx a bunch guys...:)

dafduc,

The Audigy card he is talking about does not have USB on it just IEEE.

The XV5050's USB is a midi only port according the their site. Thus I do know for a fact that audio is not being transmitted via USB in this example and from the information provided.

Back