PCMCIA card for alesis quadra synth

jeffy_2003

I posted this in the alesis forum too. sorry for the repeat.

I'm looking to buy a PCMCIA card for my qs but i'm not sure about how to get one. can i get one from a computer store or do i need to buy it especially from alesis. i was figuring if i could get one from a computer store that it would be cheaper but i can't find one that sells exactly what i need yet.
i simply want some room to store saved programs and mixes without overwriting the pre-programed user ones.

here is the mumbo jumbo that i need:
type 1 card (PCMCIA)
AMD-C or -D series FLASH Card
5-volt read/write
<150ns access time

I have a Quadrasynth.I never used the cards,though.I'm pretty sure Musician's Friend sells them.Have you thought of Sysex dump to MIDI? It takes more time for sure,but it's a lot cheaper than the cards.I use a Roland MC-50 and dump either all programs/mixes or one at a time,and I've never had a problem in 5 years of doing it.Cheers!

Hey that sounds like a great idea, but can you explain a bit more what i have to do? i already have a midi connection to my pc that i use for sequencing but cubasis only allows sysex dump for other synths. do i need some other software?

Sorry Jeffe,can't help you much there,I currently only use this here computer for the Internet.I know next to nothing about music related software,except to tell you that what you need does exist somewhere and it can be done somehow.Try a search for MIDI Data Dump or SYSEX on this site.BTW,the Roland MC=50 I mentioned is a stand alone sequencer that's been around for years.My friendly local Guitar Center has a used one for $299,the price of a couple of those cards....Cheers!

Jeff, you can buy a generic card...just ask your music store what one will work. The advantage of cards are that 1) they allow you to dump samples and 2) It give you room for extra bank storage for programs etc. It is also a good idea to learn about sysex dumps to the machine. Alesis gives you freeloader (a program for receiving and sending sysex message to you synth or any synth etc that uses sysex) and soundbridge, which will load sounds/samples/sequences onto cards for you. If you don't have these two programs from a cd which came with your synth... you can download them from the Alesis web site.

Alesis QS4

Jeff, you can buy a generic card...just ask your music store what one will work. The advantage of cards are that 1) they allow you to dump samples and 2) It give you room for extra bank storage for programs etc. It is also a good idea to learn about sysex dumps to the machine. Alesis gives you freeloader (a program for receiving and sending sysex message to you synth or any synth etc that uses sysex) and soundbridge, which will load sounds/samples/sequences onto cards for you. If you don't have these two programs from a cd which came with your synth... you can download them from the Alesis web site.

I know I'm very late in the game, but I recently purchased an Alesis QS4.

Bought 2 Q Cards, tried loading them, & got this message for both "No Data".

I know the cards have data on them.

Could you tell me what I may be doing wrong, am I missing something?

Also I read above how you say It is possible to purchase a blank PCMCIA Card & load sounds from my PC to it, & then load them on the S4.

Could you give me a more in depth process of this, if you don't mind please?

I ask someone, & they told me I would have to buy a $400.00 card reader to that.

At the moment, I'm in the dumps because I spent $129.00 for two Q Card that will not load, so that is my main concern right now.:confused:

Thank you in advance!!

&

"Happy Holidays!" to you & yours..

bless you!

Are you loading the cards as shown from the screenshot below and which cards are they?

View attachment 90904

I believe you would need a program called SoundBridge to load sounds to your own cards and it the program is so old it may not run on current OS's. The cards used are not easily found and if remember correctly were temperamental as to specific ones that would work.

yes, I loaded them like the example you have given..

I've read that I need soundbridge as well..

I may have found freeloader, but soundbridge is like looking for a needle in the haystack..

Bummer, I would really love to load some of the thousands of sounds I have on to my S4, & make my own Q Cards out of them..

Even though I could easily play them from my PC, I'm returning to analog, & really want to get those sounds I have transferred..

I've been trying to understand sysex dump, believe have an idea, but it's still quite foreign..

It seems I would have to midi my PC to my S4 for starters, and I would guess figure out how to get to the syex dump application on my PC, I assume, right?

I'm lost on this..

I really appreciate your help..

I need a step-by-step guide on how to sysex dump audio files from my PC to my Alesis S4.

Also need to know what format that these audio files need to be converted to for my S4 to be able to read/play them.

I don't have soundbridge, but I may have a freeloader......

Thank you in advance for all your support & help....:guitar:

Great luck!!

I have found soundbridge!!

I now have freeloader & soundbridge!!

Only issue is how to get soundbridge on my S4, & then begin to transfer files..

I have a cheap usb to midi cord which tells me I need the drivers in order for it to work, which is another headache..

Anyone have any idea where I can find the drivers for the usb to midi cord, & how I would put soundbridge on my Alesis QS4?

Can't remember why I needed freeloader..

Please help, I'm almost there, prayerfully..

Thanks in advance!!!!!!:thumbs up:

Back