My Casio WK-110 stopped doing its job

brassbgeek

So, I write a lot of music in Sonar X2. I have been using a Casio WK-110 to input my MIDI triggers. It has worked all the way up until recently when I will plug it in and get the usual "Casio something something has been connected, would you like to add it?" message. I click "yes" as per usual, but when I hit the keys, it does nothing. No MIDI events are triggered.

I checked my preferences to see if it was listed under MIDI devices, and where is used to be called "Casio something" it is now called "MK something letters". If I unplug the Casio, the device in my preferences disappears, but when it is on and checked for playing MIDI it doesn't actually trigger.

I have updated the drivers and looked online everywhere and can't find anything. I will buy a new keyboard if I have to, but this keyboard still functions fine, and as far as I can tell, has no reason to be behaving like this.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts as to what it might be. Things I haven't tried yet that might be the solution.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Tim

What operating system are you using-- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, etc.?

My nephew has a WK-110. I can connect it to my Windows 8.1 computer later and install the driver to familiarize myself with the operations. I don't have Sonar, but I'll try it with some other DAWs.

Does Sonar have a MIDI monitor feature where you can see MIDI events being triggered as you press keys and buttons, or turn knobs, on a connected MIDI keyboard? If not, do you have Anvil Studio (freeware DAW) or similar program that has a MIDI monitor feature?

I use Reaper, not SOnar, but had an issue with MIDI input after my keyboard (Casio WK200) shut off while I was taking a break, had to go into Reaper and get it to reset the MIDI implementation or something (just select the MIDI input device in preferences).

had an issue with MIDI input after my keyboard (Casio WK200) shut off while I was taking a break

Yeah, the "Auto Power Off" feature can be more trouble than it's worth, since turning the keyboard off while it's connected to a DAW can cause problems. It's a good idea to disable that feature if you're going to be using the keyboard with a DAW, by holding down the TONE button while turning on the keyboard-- although this feature should be disabled automatically if you're using a power adapter rather than batteries.

Another thing to watch out for is when the computer goes to sleep or the screen saver kicks in. It's probably a good idea to temporarily turn off the sleep function and screen saver, then restore them to your preferred settings when you're done working with your keyboard and DAW.

Another thing I was wondering about is whether automatic updates might cause a problem if the OS installs an update while you're actively using your keyboard with the computer. I like to keep the automatic updates on the "notify me when updates are available but don't install them automatically" setting, and sometimes I even turn off the notifications (because they sometimes pop up at the most inconvenient times) and just check for updates manually on a regular basis-- at least once a week, if not more often.

I run Windows 8 x64 bit. In Sonar X2, The level meter on the MIDI tracks will usually blink green every time a MIDI event is triggered. It is not doing so. I will try some other things when I have the chance. Mayhaps I will download anvil studio just to make sure it isn't an error with Sonar. I doubt it, but it will be good to rule out.

Back