looking for full size piano keyboard

thirdrate

I am looking for a 88 key piano keyboard, with weighted keys, preferably with a stand and pedals.

I need it to have a nice, realistic piano sound. I currently have a Casio six octave keyboard that I am very dissapointed with (it was great when I bought it, but after using the Roland keyboards in my school's piano lab, I realized how horrible it sounds).

I see keyboards in music catalogs at the $1000-1500 range. Any good choices in that range? (or cheaper, of course!)

And would it be capable in home recording?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Yamaha S-80

I would definitely check out the S80. I have one. It is a fantastic keyboard with lots of great sounds, and a killer expansion library... There is one library for piano sounds alone. . . There are also some Kurzweil boards and Rolands that may be in that price range. . .

Albert

If you are only concerned with piano sound, take a good look at the Yamaha P200. Its sound and feel are the best I have run across. Its price is a little bit above what you have listed (it runs about $1700 or so), but it is more than worth it.

If you want more than just piano sounds, The Yamaha S80 is a good option. It has 256 sounds, solid piano-weighted action, and high-quality piano sounds for $1400-$1600.

The P200 only has a few sounds (piano, organ, clavichord, strings, etc.), since a good part of its wave memory is taken up with the piano samples. However, it is a step up from the S80 for piano playing. As a final note, the P200 has good quality speakers built in (no amp required ;) ). The S80 does not.

I believe both keyboards have General MIDI compatibility and stereo outputs, making them suitable for home recording and MIDI sequencing.

I believe that either of these boards will require a separate purchase of a stand and pedals (add on ~$100 for sustain pedal and keyboard stand).

Good luck. :)

great replies, I will take these keyboards into consideration.

I read about some kind of addon board that improves the S80's piano sound. Anyone know about that?

Back