Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Korg Oasys >>> time will tell <<<

Anthony is offline 8-bit gen. (Volken)

Korg Oasys >>> time will tell <<<

Sign in to disable this ad
    '

Decades without products before time are always a promise of sterile innovation into the future.

...Fairlight,Synclavier...extracted their technology merits even to these days.

Where and when would Emu,Akai even begin to shape this technology if they haven't seen the promise of Farilight?
    Just a one corner of the creative side, certainly the story could be told even before 2 of the big boys.

I mention this because saturation of present offer in world of consumer and pro equipment is making (sadly) life to such machines impossible.

Like Tour De Force car design a prototype we know to never shape in reality but nevertheless presents direction how next models will gaze into production.

One of such creations was Korg Oasys, Korg presented a promising open architecture and same brought great fame to later Trinity...Triton series. I remember talking to one of designers (Bowen,Bowers?) at Music Show, and even then I was told that Oasys is just that. Presentation of innovation Korg is yet to offer in future products. We both agreed what industry already knows today that even financial cycles of securing the parts for production and support for next 5-8 years would make more then sobering boost to abandon any idea of making alone product as Oasys.

Well, early steps to this year brought Oasys as full production ready instruments. From one side I'm happy because landmark products are necessary for future innovation and if Korg manages to actually cover production expenses and make this success, this is fantastic news.

But, I fear this is very dangerous step in reality where market can no longer realistically appreciate this price range of instruments (remember hardware samplers) today when my beloved Emu is nothing but music card maker for Creative, I think my doubts are not exaggerated.

Many could financially endure this with even greater aplomb then Korg, but they feel this is somewhat of utopia, these days when recording cards are less then 100$.

If Korg fails, this demise would even more cement bravery of others makers who also considered such creations, and I repeat for real progress product like this are important.

As ex. CMI3 owner I hope Korg will make Oasys as viable success,lets all hope so.

Good thing is that present Oasys is slightly less cut version from 1995. Oasys, and making almost as half reduced in cost as projected with first version

Oasys 2005

'
    Last edited by Anthony; 01-22-2005 at 22:05.

Atterion is offline The Dark Knight
    I too hope Oasys succeeds with a second lease in life. I think the original was the right product at the wrong time. The design philosophy was right, but by the time the prototypes were born and ready for mass production, the market had already shifted dramatically. I do believe this second generation will be more successful however.

Seems as though the software market has eclipsed (much as the hardware market has, for that matter). Sure products will still hit the PC/Mac market, many of them will be excellent, but not in leaps and bounds that they were in the last 10 years (I can't really think of anything else one could need from software now that doesn't already exist, other than the ever elusive virtual singer, and perhaps neurologically controlled software synths complete with Human-Brain interface via firewire of course).

I think for many that have been caught in the vortex of terror that is the software industry, especially the old school hardware folks, would be happy to welcome the promise of an all-inclusive hardware studio centerpiece, such as the Korg Oasys or Alesis FusionSynth. Especially if it makes use of the technologies and conveniences offered up by their software counterparts, to offer more fluid workflows (Anybody who has sequenced data on any workstation via buttons knows what I'm talking about here).

I for one am excited by these new products as they have the potential to streamline many peoples setups, especially those who frequently go from studio to stage and back on a regular basis. I hope these synths succeed or at the vary least spin-off a new generation of hardware (Much as the original Oasys did), so that us hardware freaks can continue to have new and exciting products to drool on ourselves about. My 2 cents
    Torment, Violent Aggression,
    Systematic State of Oppression.
    The Heretics, All Swing From The trees,
    Cast To Hell, With Their Disease. [url=http://www.mixposure.com/darkened]DARKENED[/url]

SonicAlbert is offline Super-Sonic "Herb" Albert
    The Oasys will probably be appreciated by the very few buyers that can afford it. I'm sure Korg is well aware that they won't be shipping large numbers of this unit. That's probably one reason for the high price, they have to make their money back on relatively few synths sold.

In all honesty, I wasn't wowed by it. But maybe it was just the demo guy that didn't grab me. The Oasys sounded, for lack of better words, like just another synth. A great sounding synth, but from the demos I didn't get why this should be so expensive.

It looks great in person, and the pop up screen is pretty. It's an impressive looking unit, and it does sound great.

I owned the Oasys card for a while, so I'm familiar with the synth. I loved my Oasys card, but Korg dropped support early and didn't make it compatible with Mac OSX. The synth version will obviously not have that problem.

I'd expect Korg to already have cut down versions of this synth in their design pipeline. At the time I owned the Oasys card, I thought they should have offerred a one space hardware rack version of it, to lessen its dependency on a computer host. Hopefully, Korg will do that now. If I purchase a new Oasys it will be in a relatively affordable rack mount form.

metropolis79 is offline Newbie
    Before knowing the price I was very interested too in this expensive "toy"...
    I was prepared to spend up to 5500 $ for it, but 8500 for the 88 key is ridicolous.

Korg have to think that is right that the oasys will replace many hardware (a 16 track digital recorder=2000$ a synth workstation=3000$ an organ emulator=2000$ a virtual analog synth=2000 for top of the line) but the true is that they spend only for one hardware for one unit, so the rest of costs are merely software programmation.... in conclusion IMHO is pure speculation.

I think that korg could (seriously) sell this unit at half the price and then have a stellar margin of earning...

sorry for the rant, but I was very very sad when I saw the street price on the net...

Atterion is offline The Dark Knight
    I'm sure the price will come down. Prices are usually set high in first run products like this, and the initial market is almost always aimed at the elitist few that have that kind of money burning holes in their wallets (Remember how much a fully spec'd Kurz. K2500 used to cost???). I'd like to see a cut-down 61-key version of this without the big screen, but with the same synth engine, KARMA 2, and perhaps the new controllers. And maybe just a couple of audio tracks. It's a shame that this thing doesn't offer legacy support for every other add-on card that KORG has made over the last several years too.
    Torment, Violent Aggression,
    Systematic State of Oppression.
    The Heretics, All Swing From The trees,
    Cast To Hell, With Their Disease. [url=http://www.mixposure.com/darkened]DARKENED[/url]

metropolis79 is offline Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Atterion
    I'm sure the price will come down. Prices are usually set high in first run products like this, and the initial market is almost always aimed at the elitist few that have that kind of money burning holes in their wallets (Remember how much a fully spec'd Kurz. K2500 used to cost???).
    I hope so too!!!
    personally I haven't experience in this very high end products so I could not pronunce myself...
    but modern keys usually don't have more then 10% variations till they are discontinued.
    maybe for a product such this, considering the fast evolving of personal computers (because basically the open system based on software that they clam is nothing else that a pc with a dedicated OS), it's going to became more inexpensive in few time

DonaldChang is offline Banned
    what did the original korg oaysys do?was it a daw or something?

The original Oasys was a soundcard, and a great one at that. However, it was expensive, and Korg stopped supporting it too early. I owned one for a while and it was basically a Triton on a soundcard, a virtual hardware synth, a soundcard supporting ADAT I/O, and also a complete fx system. Really a great invention if only they had kept up on the drivers for it. They never made OSX drivers for the Mac for example, and that's why I had to sell mine.

Anthony is offline 8-bit gen. (Volken)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicAlbert
    The original Oasys was a soundcard, and a great one at that. However, it was expensive, and Korg stopped supporting it too early. I owned one for a while and it was basically a Triton on a soundcard, a virtual hardware synth, a soundcard supporting ADAT I/O, and also a complete fx system. Really a great invention if only they had kept up on the drivers for it. They never made OSX drivers for the Mac for example, and that's why I had to sell mine.
    That's not quite true Albert.

There was original Oasys >>> Blue Bomber <<< much like the present one self contained machine, more powerful in terms of synthesis (more algorithms) but they had to cut down the present Oasys due to more reasonable value.

I wrote very extensively...about my first experience with Oasys : > h e r e <

If you haven't already participated in this post earlier I would understand your comment, but now
    Last edited by Anthony; 07-04-2005 at 09:48.
    ~ Sorry~

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    If you haven't already participated in this post earlier I would understand your comment, but now
    I don't understand what you are saying by that. I think my statements are consistent.

That blue bomber thing never made it to production if I remember correctly, it was a prototype. The first Oasys to actually be released to the public was the sound card. It went though a few software revisions and then support was dropped. The new $8,000 Oasys keyboard is basically an updated version of the soundcard, but this time with its own hardware.

The soundcard I thought was brilliant, but I was underwhelmed by the keyboard. mostly because I didn't really see it breaking too much new ground from the sound card. Seems like they could have put the soundcard into a hardware keyboard a lot more quickly and cheaply than they did. I mean, they had the sound card all finished and it was great. Korg makes great keyboards that are great, so why the big delay and big expense?

Not to say that the new Oasys keyboard isn't impressive, it certainly is. I just was underwhelmed by it in that it sounded a lot like everything else I've been hearing for a few years. They could have popped an Oasys card into a Karma body and done it for $2,500, and had a killer keyboard a lot quicker.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information