I have a question

I want to record surf. I play guitar and bass and pretend I play drums haha. I want to add a surf organ sound. But the keyboards Ive tried in stores dont have the surf sound. What is a keyboard that has a good surf sound? It needs to be cheap because I havent paid the mortgage yet this month :o

I've read that the old Farfisa organs were popular with surf bands. I used to have one myself, but never played in a surf band. I don't know what you're using to record, but you can download VST plug-ins of Farfisas-- e.g., see Combo Model F (there's a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, so get the version that's compatible with your DAW). Then you'll just need to buy a MIDI keyboard controller, which might be cheaper than buying an organ or electronic keyboard. Alternatively, you could buy an inexpensive Casio or Yamaha keyboard and use it as a controller. But first you can try the VST in your DAW using your mouse or computer keyboard to see if it's going to give you the sort of sound you're looking for.

Farfisas and box continentals for the light stuff. I had a Farfisas compact minor in the seventies, and it was a bit old then. Pretty horrible sound really. However, I'm in a band and we still use a Korg M1 because the presets are very Surf music friendly.

Last edited:
So I guess those arent made anymore because I didnt see any on Google Shopping? There are a bunch on ebay but some are 50 and some are like 2000? Can anybody have a look at which one I should get? Because I cant spend 2000 and Id rather have something real :)

Hey I was looking at reed organs (because I saw the Farfisa was one) and there are handheld organs called harmoniums? Has anybody used one of those? Because those are still made and they arent very expensive :)

Farfisa may have made reed organs, but the Farfisa and Vox organs used in surf bands were electronic, not reed organs.

A harmonium is a reed organ that you play by pumping a bellows-- a "pump organ." Larger models usually have pedals that you pump with your feet, although smaller "tabletop" models can be pumped by hand. If it's handheld then it's probably like an accordion, but having a keyboard like an organ.

Anyway, you won't want a harmonium for playing surf music.

If you want to buy an actual vintage Farfisa or Vox organ, you'll need to buy a used one through Craigslist, eBay, local classified ads, etc.

But it's probably better to get a new keyboard that has some patches/voices/tones* that sound like an old Farfisa, Vox, or similar '60s combo organ. The name of the patch/etc. might not be called "Farfisa Organ" or "Vox Organ" per se-- it might be called "60s Organ," "Combo Organ," "60s Combo Organ," etc.
*Different keyboard manufacturers may call them different things: Yamaha = "voices," Casio = "tones," most everyone else = "patches" or "presets."

A used Farfisa/Vox/etc. is probably going to be heavier than most modern portable electronic keyboards, making it more of a pain to lug around.

And when you buy a used keyboard, you might be buying an instrument that's damaged in some way-- hopefully just cosmetic damages (scratches, etc.), but possibly damage to the electronics, keyboard, or controls.

Plus, even if you get lucky and buy an undamaged instrument, if it ever gets broken you'll need to fix it yourself or get someone else to fix it-- if replacement parts can be found.

And finally, if you should want something that can be hooked up to a computer via a MIDI or USB-MIDI connection, a keyboard from the '60s or '70s isn't going to cut it, since MIDI hadn't been invented then. You might not care about that right now-- and certainly a musical instrument doesn't have to be MIDI-compatible-- but it's something else to consider.

Yeah thats what I worry about on ebay I dont know what would be broken or if it was broken. Hmm. Well thanks for the help.

I have tried a couple of modern Casio keyboards including a Digital Piano and they just dont have the right sound.

They are also rather limited in tone variation to modern instruments, and of course have no MIDI capability. I'd sure not want to play one of these live. Far too limiting.

I dont play live and I really prefer acoustic instruments. Even thinking of selling my electric guitars. I could use that money to buy an organ. I really want a standup bass too. But I dont have money for that yet.

I really prefer acoustic instruments.

Ah! "Old school"! :) Well, if you prefer acoustic then maybe you might want to look into a tabletop harmonium after all-- but probably not for surf music (although it might be interesting to hear surf music played on all-acoustic instruments).

How are you going to get that surf sound with acoustic instruments?

There is the Hawaiian slack-key stuff, which has a sort of 'beachy' vibe and is played on acoustics. Not the same as surf, though.

With the lap steel maybe. I havent sold the electrics yet! But the old surf sound it is very acoustic in an electric way. If you know what I mean. Listen to a song like Apache.

By the way. What is wrong with people in the Newbie forum? Is that like a mental asylum or something? I thought the normal thing to do was post a greeting. But then all the mental patients came out on my thread.

Yeah did you see the shit he posted about me? Before he deleted all of it like a coward? Whatever. I bet he will stalk me though.

Back