Connecting Roland RD700sx to Ketron Sd2 sound module:advice needed.

Denv12

I bought a new Ketron SD2 sound module to connect up to my Roland RD700SX stage piano.Its all hooked up for a start.I got one sound out of the module.The Roland handbook isnt know for its accurate explanations.

If you have any understanding of the Roland digital pianos and connecting up modules please let me know.

I cant seem to switch from one sound to the next.

I looked up some information on the Sd2, it was limited, but based on what I have read and what I think I know, the issue is going to be the Sd2. You will have to go MIDI Out from your keyboard, MIDI to the Sd2, now how to get the sounds out of the Sd2, not sure, maybe through the RCA jacks that are on them. But the Ro9land will send a program change (voice selection) to the Sd2, your Sd2 you will need what the program number, you will send that from the Roland.

In summary, Roland Midi Out->Sd2 Midi In, Roland Send (you'll have to look up how that is configured on your Roland)->Sd2 Program number to select the voice (You will use the Roland to send the program selection). Sd2 sound ->RCA jacks out to a mixer

I'm sure you were looking for details, but I have not used the Sd2 and can only go with general knowledge of how MIDI works. It has to follow that standard.

Hope this at least points you in the right direction.

Hi David.

Thank you for the reply.

I just sent Roland an email explaining the situation.I'm sure they get a lot of requests for help.Couldnt find an active Roland forum to post in.I've joined 3 and none of my posts were anserwed.

I've got the SD2 set up per the owners books.I know thats right.I got part of the set up.Its just getting it together from there.

I was told I dont need to connect up to computer or ipad and the piano all at once.It was one of the reasons I bought the SD2 because it could be connected to a piano and activated from the piano screen,etc. I thought the midi to piano was a simple process,midi in and out between piano and module.

This is one thing thats out of my league.I need to look into it further.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Chris.

Hi David.

Thank you for the reply.

I just sent Roland an email explaining the situation.I'm sure they get a lot of requests for help.Couldnt find an active Roland forum to post in.I've joined 3 and none of my posts were anserwed.

I've got the SD2 set up per the owners books.I know thats right.I got part of the set up.Its just getting it together from there.

I was told I dont need to connect up to computer or ipad and the piano all at once.It was one of the reasons I bought the SD2 because it could be connected to a piano and activated from the piano screen,etc. I thought the midi to piano was a simple process,midi in and out between piano and module.

This is one thing thats out of my league.I need to look into it further.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Chris.

The MIDI yes, but selecting the program (sound) from the keyboard it it not crazy difficult, just need to have a reference when using a program send (it will be a number, not a name, SD manual should give you the cross reference). Remember, Midi Out from keyboard, MIDI in to the SD, sometimes people get them confused.

Back