Yamaha P-140 recording.

Mikegilles

I've got the new Yamaha P-140 and it's become a favorite of my accompanist (I'm a vocalist). One of the cool features is the ability to record up to three songs she plays and I can play those back anytime to rehearse st as if she was there. Of course, it is better when she's there because we can improvise and vary the song at our whim.
She is playing a musical review for a local community theatre and has to leave for a week during rehearsals. I suggested we simply upload each song she plays to my computer and burn a CD so the cast can continue to rehearse.

I downloaded Yamaha's Music Soft Downloader and was able to upload the files (I think) to the MSD program but the file is labeled as P-140.BUP. When I go to find this file to play it, the computer doesn't know what program created it. Do I need additional software to convert this file into a WAV or MIDI file? If so, what program will I need?

I hope some of you might help me out here.

Regards,
Mike Gilles

A 'BUP' file is a Yamaha archive format only, and the program you downloaded is for archiving midi files only.

You need to make a midi file if your songs are original or find midi files on the web if you are doing versions of existing material.

The description on Yamaha's website says only that it has 'flash rom' with no mention of a floppy disk or USB connection. That means that you will need to load songs from the computer into the P-140 three at a time, then use a wave recording program like the freeware Audacity to record the audio from the left and right audio outpts of the piano into the computer. Use the Audacty file menu function 'export file as .wav'.

Windows XP has CD buring software built in. Choose 'make an audio CD'.

Find Audacity here --- link.

ssscientist,
OK, I've downloaded Audacity. I've already got three songs recorded on the P-140. I've got the Keyboard connected to the computer and it's communicating properly. Now, how do I ask Audacity to download the three songs as a useable file to transfer to a CD? I tried pulling down the "Import file as wave" function but it won't highlight and won't activate.
I sure do appreciate your walking me through this.
Regards,
Mike Gilles

Audacity is a freeware recording program.

Open Audacity and select 'new'.

Then record the song into it by pushing the red button at the top of the frame. Record the song from beginning to end making sure that you've got a level that's not too loud or too soft. You will be able to judge this by the size of the wavform on the screen. It may take some balancing of the volume from the P-140 and the input volume on the computer to get it close.

Once you've got the level approximately right and have played the file into the computer, hit the stop button and use the 'export file as wav' function under the 'file' menu, name the file with the song title and save it in a new folder on your hard disk. Then close Audacity.

Open Audacity again and repeat the process for as many songs as you want to burn to a CD.

Then insert a blank CD in the CD-R drive and it will read it as blank and come up with a dialog box. Choose 'open writable CD folder using Windows Explorer'. Drag and drop or copy and paste the files from the folder they are stored in into the 'D:' window.

midi out

The Yamaha P140 is a Stage Piano. One would think that it would be an easy matter to disable the internal sequencer and play the keyboard through the midi out to Cakewalk or Sonar or Sibilius or any one of these programs. But how. I have tried and I cant get it to connect. I am using a Midimate cable.

I dont want to record a wave file using Audacity. I want the midi file to make backing tracks.

First of all, the thread you chose to attach your post to is 3+ years old. Start a fresh thread each time you have a question.

Second, that 'midi mate' cable will not work unless you have the correct USB driver software for that keyboard installed. Try the Yamaha website and see if they have a generic driver for their non-USB keyboards, and if not try the Ego-Systems site to see if they have any info that will help.

Back