Yamaha FS1-R Problem

rjt

I bought a Yamaha FS1-R years ago when they were being discontinued (got a very good price). It worked well for about a year, then started to have problems. Sometimes, when I power it up, the controls either do not work, or the display comes up "washed out" or blank. Letting it sit (powered up) does no good. Turning it off, letting it sit (sometimes for a minute or two, sometimes an hour or two) and then powering up, it usually works.... sometimes (often), it stops working mid-session.

I took it in to an authorized Yamaha repair shop (they had never seen one and had to order the manual). I thought it sounded like a battery, but they said the battery was fine. They were unable to reproduce the problem.... except for one time, when it messed up for them... They said as long as the problem was intermittent, they could not fix it.

It happens (at home) a lot more frequently now. But, it still acts (to me) like a power problem.... ie, bad battery. Anyone have any ideas? Does this sound like a battery? Heard of a similar problem? Thoughts about what to try next?

Thanks in advance

Take Care

Battery problems only affect volatile memory areas, in other words, if it were a battery problem, you would only be loosing user patches, etc.

Sounds more like a loose wire connection someplace or maybe a bad chip. Possibly it could be that your power supply isn't providing the adequate voltage intermittently.

Good info.... bad news.

It would seem like there is not a good way of tracking that down. When it was in the shop (about 1 1/2 years ago for about 3 months) they couldn't find anything and it was only one time that it crashed for them. Hmmmmmm

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time

Take Care

For this old post too late?:

Tip list on resetting (and IMO your battery is out maybe?) Replace it with the correct version,
remove the bottom plate screws only, and don't forget the one in the middle on the front plate, note it's a different one.
Use a properly fitting screwdriver!

------------
Yamaha FS1R tips not in the manual.

V1.20 OS EPROM is the latest.

Factory Reset. Reset: hold both Util and Enter at startup

Yamaha FS1R V1.20 OS EPROM. Release Notes
Fixes numerous system bugs, voice allocation issues, file compatibility issues and user interface issues.
Improves DX7 patch import. Improves MIDI Sysex compatibility. Improves overall MIDI functionality.
------------------------------------------------

Check OS EPROM version
Your current OS EPROM version is displayed when you boot up your Yamaha FS1R while holding the [PLAY] and [MUTE/SOLO] buttons
-----------------------------------------
INITIALIZING various:

The FS1R Initialize function includes five sub-modes: Perform, Voice, Fseq, Sys, and FactSet. Factory Set
initialization restores all FS1R data to the initial factory settings including all current and Internal
voices. System Initialize restores all system setup parameters to their default settings.
Initializes the performance edit buffer.

Perform:

Voice
Initializes the current voice edit buffer.
Initializes all or individual internal Fseqs (I01 - I06) if internal Fseq memory is allocated.
The Fseq memory is cleared after Fseq execution, allowing reception of bulk Fseq data from an external source (i.e. another FS1R).

Sys
Initializes all system setup data.

FactSet
Initializes all FS1R data to the initial factory settings.
Select a Data Type to Initialize

Use the CURSOR [ ] and [ ] buttons or the CURSOR knob to select the desired data type to be initialized.
Press [ENTER]
Press the [ENTER] button to go to the confirmation display for the selected data type. If Fseq is selected, use
the VALUE [ ] and [ ] buttons to select either all Fseqs, or an individual Fseq from I01 through I06.
Press [ENTER] to Initialize
Press the [ENTER] button to begin actual initialization (or [EXIT] to abort). ìExecutingî will appear on the
display while the data is being initialized, then the display will return to the Initialize menu.
Exit When Done
Press the [EXIT] button to return to the UTILITY mode menu, or [PLAY] to return directly to the PLAY mode
when done.

FAINT DISPLAY:
You can adjust change display contrast:

go to SYS press enter
use cursor to go to OTHER
press enter
LCD contrast should now be on the screen
press enter
use value buttons to change contrast

Back