Workstation/Arranger that can keep me away from the computer...

Huntinator

I am looking for advice on a workstation that I can use to take a song from conception to completion without having to involve the computer/DAW. Price is not a consideration.

One feature that is important is 88 keys with a good weighted hammer action as I plan on actually learning to play the keys proper.

My typical workflow in the past has been to fire up Cubase, load up VST's and start stepping in tracks with a 49 key midi controller. Nothing very complex, usually projects would consist of a drum, bass, and a few keyboard tracks. I would record the guitar track with a mic'd amp if needed. Never any vocals... I would not want to subject anyone to my singing!

I guess what I'm looking for is a standalone workstation that has the editing capabilities I would typically use in Cubase. I'm not sure if one even exists.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Anybody?... I have looked through a lot of the threads and I can't find any specific information on what the editing capabilities for various workstations may be. I have also looked on youtube and have not had much luck because they never really get under the hood and show the limits of what can be accomplished as far as editing is concerned. I was thinking of trying to download the user manuals for some of the higher end workstations and try to get the info from them. Just thought some of the users on these forums would have some practical experience recording/editing with higher end workstations. I would REALLY like to be able to sit down and record without being teathered to a computer.

Last edited:
Hello Huntinator! Sorry for the lack of response, I'm new here as well :)

Basically any high-end workstation will have what you're looking for. This feature is often called a "Sequencer" in the keyboard world, and any self-respecting brand include it in their flagship workstations. The "Big three" keyboard brands in the workstation world are Korg, Yamaha and Roland. I've personally been a big Korg fan for a while, as I really love their workstations. But my advice is to try and find a store where you can try them out, and see which one you prefer :)

Here's a little list with the flagship workstations from the big three, as well as links to more information:

Korg Kronos - https://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pro_kronos_88_modell_2015.htm
Korg Krome - https://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pro_krome_88_keys.htm
Yamaha Motif XF8 - https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Motif-Music-Production-Synthesizer/dp/B003YJDPWE
Roland FA-08 - https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_fa_08.htm

If nothing else, checking these out will be a place to start. I'd recommend googling around on Workstations with Sequencers, check some videos and others opinions, and try them out yourself if you can :)

Happy hunting!

Thank you Sarrgas... That should give me a good place to start my search. I remember an old bandmate had a Korg M1 if memory serves, and I always thought it sounded great.

I know this is kind of an older thread but I just wanted to add... I bought a new Casio 7600 workstation and I love it. I'm sure there are lots better but for about 400 bucks I couldn't be happier! Sounds great and lots of good stuff for my studio! No midi but does have usb. I never use midi anyway but I know it's important to a lot of us but not an issue for me.

Just wanted to add my two cents!

I have a Roland FA-08. It has exactly what you would be looking for, though I never use the sequencing functionality.

I'm not sure how the 08 would work (i.e. how easy or hard) in terms of combining tracks and saving off as a whole song though, either as MIDI or a .wav/.mp3 format.....or if something comparable like the Korg Krome can....I confess I'd love this myself as I'd rather not muck with a DAW if I can help it.

I know this is kind of an older thread but I just wanted to add... I bought a new Casio 7600 workstation and I love it. I'm sure there are lots better but for about 400 bucks I couldn't be happier! Sounds great and lots of good stuff for my studio! No midi but does have usb. I never use midi anyway but I know it's important to a lot of us but not an issue for me.

Just wanted to add my two cents!

I think this is one of the keys (hahah) to a keyboard worstation. For myself, I don't want to be editing anywhere but on the computer. Nor, is my vision of Electric Guitar gonna' be comming from a keyboard.

Recording and composition should be a breeze. I'm only fooling around with synth noises (or, noises keyboards do best) and I don't need the computer.

Yes, you should read the manual before you buy anything. My last big (and not that big) keyboard purchase had to be a "toolbox", and the Yamaha MX would of been my limit. I ended up with a performance keyboard. Now I already have piano-like keys, etc., so I didn't need to pay for that.

Read the manual.

Back